Thursday, July 31, 2014

Order of Angell announces membership for class of 2013

By Taylor Wizner, Daily Staff Reporter

In a release to The Michigan Daily, senior leadership society Order of Angell announced the names of its 111th class.

Order, formerly known as Michigamua, selects leaders from student organizations and athletic teams on campus. Prospective members are “tapped” to join by current members each spring.

Public Policy senior Vidhi Bamzai, spokeswoman for Order, wrote in an e-mail interview that the 2012 class chose students who have demonstrated “outstanding leadership, high character and a strong commitment to Michigan.”

“Today, the group is a diverse set of some of the most active leaders on campus,” Bamzai wrote. “We work to bring together leaders from different corners of campus who often wouldn’t otherwise interact, let alone get to know each other and work together to better the University.”

Thirty-nine percent of Order’s class of 2013 is female, and 39 percent of the class is made up of underrepresented minorities. Both percentages are above average for most University leadership organizations, according to information provided by Order.

Though the society has been labeled by some as secretive, Bamzai wrote that Order sponsors many public events throughout the year.

“Together, the group decides where its efforts are most needed and seeks to better the University in whatever way it can,” Bamzai wrote. “Often this is through strengthening existing programs, sports, or relationships with other leaders and partnerships. Additional programs we helped drive include a scholarship program for underclassmen, a pep rally for the Under the Lights football game, and fundraising drives for multiple campus initiatives.”

According to a release, the group also hosts a lecture series called Leaders for Life. This past year’s series included former Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr, University Vice President for Development Jerry May and University Regent Denise Ilitch (D—Bingham Farms).

In years past, Order of Angell had been accused of performing Native American rituals during meetings. In 1989, the society agreed to eliminate all references to Native American culture, with the exception of their name, Michigamua.

In 2000, members of the Student of Color Coalition allegedly found Native American artifacts on the seventh floor of the Michigan Union, where Order met for weekly meetings. However, Order continues to deny ever using or knowing these objects existed, claiming they were set up in the room unbeknownst to the members of Order.

Hoping to distance itself from its past, Michigamua changed its name to Order of Angell in 2007. James Burrill Angell, the society’s namesake, was the former president of the University and helped found the society in 1902.

Members of Order of Angell Class of 2013

Jenna Bertke, Society of Women Engineers
Caroline Canning, LSA Student Government
Steven Fisher, Men’s Glee Club
Holly Hein, Women’s Soccer
Joseph Hemingway, Society for Human Resource Management
Tatiana Hofmans, F.O.K.U.S
Sean Jackson, Interfraternity Council
JD Johnson, Men’s Lacrosse
Jeremy Klaben, TEDxUofM
Jordan Kovacs, Football
Abby Krumbein, PlanetBlue Student Innovation Fund
Tyler Lopez, Army ROTC
Dexter Mason, Sports Business Association
Lee Moffie, Men’s Ice Hockey
Rama Mwenesi, E-MAGINE
Stephen Nesbitt, The Michigan Daily
Laura Parkinson, MESA/Trotter Affiliate Program
Charlotte Rath, Dance Marathon
Denard Robinson, Football
David Rosenwein, Hillel
Carrie Tamarelli, M-HEAL
Tegest Walker, Black Volunteer Network
Roman Willets, Men’s Swimming and Diving

Honorary member: Steve Grafton, Alumni Association, President and CEO