Friday, July 25, 2014

Central Student Government, Interfraternity Council launch late-night bus route

By Will Greenberg, Daily News Editor
Published December 10, 2013

The “Night Owl” bus route, a new service provided by Central Student Government and the Interfraternity Council, launched its new late-night route Thursday.

The new bus route will provide Blue Bus services later than any current routes to help students get home to the more remote parts of campus on the weekends.

Funding for the new route was approved earlier this month, costing the CSG and IFC a collective $30,000. The two organizations will each contribute $15,000, and the CSG Assembly will contribute an additional $10,000 for advertising and incidental causes. The money will fund the route until the end of the Winter 2014 semester.

CSG President Michael Proppe said the new route, provided there is sufficient ridership this weekend, will run Thursday through Saturday evenings.

The Night Owl route will use two Blue Buses, making stops at off-campus locations as well as Oxford Residence Hall, East University Street and the Thompson Street area, running from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. every 20 minutes. There will also be transfers for North Campus at the Central Campus Transit Center.

Currently, only the North Campus weekend line runs later than 12:30 a.m., with Oxford services ending at 10 p.m. on weekends.

The new route is in response to the recent upswing in crime in the evenings. From June 2010 to April 2013, 67 percent of incidents were off-campus and 64 percent occurred while the victim was walking.

“I'm excited the buses are up and running,” Proppe said. “I'm not sure what usage will look like on the first night before we've done our marketing but I think a lot of students will take advantage of the service in the next few weeks.”

Dean of Students Laura Blake Jones and Eddie Washington, Jr., the executive director of the Division of Public Safety and Security, contributed external support for the project.

The route will continue to be funded by CSG and the IFC for now, but Proppe hopes the route will eventually join the rest of the Blue Bus service and receive University funding.

The Night Owl route is not currently registered with the Magic Bus app for students to track the bus as it makes stops — a feature Proppe hopes to change in the coming weeks.

“Parking and transportation services informed me Magic Bus is no longer supported and they don't have the resources to update the site with a new route right now,” Proppe said. “We hope to find a way to put it on there soon.”

Additional information about the route and times will be available online soon, the press release said.