Friday, October 24, 2014

Five things you missed at Thursday's regents meeting

By Sam Gringlas, Daily News Editor

1. University President-elect Mark Schlissel attended his first monthly regents meeting Thursday afternoon. During brief comments, he told the regents he appreciated the warm welcome he’s received on campus. Afterward, he told The Michigan Daily he planned to attend the University’s production of the musical “Les Miserables.”

“My excitement grows by the week,” he said during the meeting. “This is my fifth visit to Ann Arbor. I anticipate more visits before I actually begin full-time in July. It's a wonderful opportunity to sit with the Regents and attend the meeting as well as the public meeting today. I look forward to collaborating with all of you in the months and years ahead.”

2. During the annual Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs report, Social Work Prof. Karen Staller, outgoing SACUA chair, said she told Schlissel one of the greatest challenges ahead for faculty governance is rooted in managing academic units that frequently fail to act as a shared body.

“The conundrum has to do with the relative relationship between central and decentralized faculty governance,” Staller said. “Central faculty governance often concerns itself with questions that boil down to this: when is a common good at stake that out to trump unit specific interest. Michigan has a very well establish decentralized system. Policy and decision making often occurs within the individual schools and colleges and much less so at the central level. There are some real benefits but also some costs.”

3. Business senior Michael Proppe, former Central Student Government president, handed down the presidential gavel to his current vice president, Public Policy junior Bobby Dishell. Proppe reviewed the results of CSG’s year-end survey and lauded the success of the off campus bus route and the new football ticket policy. He also expressed excitement for his successor.

“He has been right by my side the whole way in what has been one of the most rewarding and challenging years of my life,” he said. “And I cannot wait to see what he and the new vice president, Meagan Shokar, will accomplish over the next year no matter what surprises get thrown their way.”

4. The regents approved the schematic designs for two capital projects — a $135 million renovation and addition to the Ross School of Business and a $6 million athletic operations center on the athletic ampus.

5. Members of the University’s Gamelan — a traditional Indonesian music ensemble — used the public comments section to ask the regents for access to instrument storage and practice space during building renovations. In what may have been a first for the public comments portion, they spent part of their allotted three minutes performing a short musical piece for the regents to demonstrate the cultural significance of their program.

|