Friday, December 19, 2014

Students hold male pageant for charity

Nicholas Williams/Daily
LSA sophomore Dave Mullen shows off at the Mr. Michigan male pageant in the University Club in the Union on Sunday. Buy this photo

By Ariana Assaf, Daily Staff Reporter

Nothing guarantees a good time like red fur coats, Chippendales routines and pies being thrown in faces.

On Sunday afternoon, nearly 200 people gathered at The University Club in the Michigan Union for the annual Mr. Michigan competition, an event put on by the Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children.

FIMRC co-president Maddy Stumpos, an LSA senior, described the competition as “a male beauty pageant.” During the introduction, she and fellow co-president, LSA senior Kelly Ketchum, announced that the organization had already raised $20,000.

All proceeds are going towards FIMRC’s mission of providing medical care for underprivileged children around the world.

Participants kicked off the festivities with a flash-mob-style dance routine to a mash-up of songs by popular artists including Justin Bieber and Beyoncé, then moved on to individual introductions of the contestants.

Some highlights included learning that LSA sophomore David Mullen-Muhr, who represented MRelay in the Mr. Michigan competition, is an ordained minister, while LSA junior Matthew Johnson, who was representing Circle K, impressed the crowd by showing off his salsa dancing skills on his way to the stage.

Then came the talent portion, in which LSA senior Yianni Ellenikiotis, who represented the Pre-Dental Association, performed a Chippendale dance routine — and much to some onlookers’ appreciation — took a pie to the abs later on.

LSA senior Graam Liu, Motley Crew’s representative, serenaded co-president Kelly Ketchum. LSA senior Jihad Komis, Mock Trial’s representative, mastered the saltine challenge.

Before the votes were cast, LSA senior Joanna Connelly, a friend of both Komis and Johnson, said, “Everyone was so good. I want to vote for all of them!”

Engineering senior Nicholas Clift came in first place, receiving a Cottage Inn gift card as well as the title of Mr. Michigan, complete with a crown and flower bouquet.

|