StudentGovernment

Friday, August 29, 2014

Medical amnesty amendments passed, awaiting Governor signature

By Giacomo Bologna, Daily Staff Reporter

Today, House Bill 4393 — a bill preventing individuals under the age of 21 from receiving a Minor in Possession of alcohol citation if they call for medical attention — moved one step closer to implementation after it passed in the Michigan House, 105-3. The bill now only needs the signature of Michigan governor Rick Snyder before becoming law.

Earlier this year, LSA junior Aditya Sathi introduced two resolutions to the Central Student Government assembly in support of medical amnesty that passed during his tenure as vice speaker. He said the swift progress of HB 4393 is heavily indebted to student advocacy.

“I would attribute a majority of the success of this bill to the student movement across the state,” Sathi said.

He added that medical amnesty had been discussed for several years before HB 4393 was introduced and that it was students pressing for a medical amnesty program that kept the dialogue alive.

“It was basically students who kept coming after the issue year after year … the students' voices were heard,” he said.

The bill originated in the House where it passed 105-4, and then went to the Senate where it passed 38-0, and the amendments were added. Today's vote in the House was in concurrence with the amendments made by the Senate.

According to a spokesperson from the House Clerk's office, the bill will most likely be presented to Snyder this Thursday or Friday. Snyder will then have 14 days to sign the bill into law, or else it automatically becomes law, according to article 4, section 33 of the Michigan constitution.

The bill will take effect on June 1, 2012.

Sathi said he has been and will be asking students to call the governor's office in support of this bill and expects that the governor will sign it.

"There should really be no reason for governor Snyder not to sign this bill into law,” Sathi said.