Friday, October 24, 2014

University approves new sorority for fall 2014

By Amia Davis, Daily Staff Reporter

Gamma Phi Beta sorority will be reestablishing a chapter on campus in the fall after receiving approval from the University's Office of Greek Life.

Mary Beth Seiler, director of Greek Life, wrote in an e-mail that on-campus sororities are becoming too large. Seiler said adding more chapters rather than turning pledges away is the best way to accommodate interest.

To ensure students are not turned away by the increasingly crowded sororities, Seiler wrote that the Panhellenic Association voted to install two more chapters on campus, as long as the community is strong enough to support both old and new chapters at the University. The Panhellenic Association plans to add Alpha Omicron Pi in Fall 2016 and Kappa Delta in Fall 2018 as well.

Seiler said the reestablishment of Gamma Phi Beta is an exciting event for both the campus and the community. The sorority has a strong relationship with the University that dates back to 1882 when the Beta chapter was first installed. Recruitment will begin next fall after Panhellenic Formal Recruitment.

“Being part of a sorority is an exciting and unique opportunity while in college, and the experience is lifelong,” Seiler said.

Gamma Phi Beta has 130 active chapters across the United States and has over 190,000 collegiate and alumnae members, according to Maureen Walker, director of marketing and communications at Gamma Phi Beta International Sorority.

The sorority is one of the ten oldest women’s organizations in North America. Founded in 1874 by four women at Syracuse University, the sorority aims to build confidence in women of character while creating lasting friendships.

Gamma Phi Beta will move into the current Delta Phi Epsilon sorority house on South University Avenue in Fall 2015.

LSA sophomore Alyssa Gorenberg, president of the University's chapter of Delta Phi Epsilon, said the national organization is ensuring the sorority a new housing assignment for the fall of 2015. A location has not yet been decided, but the sorority will continue to reside in the house until May 2015.

Gorenberg said the move is not an issue because the sorority has plenty of time to find another housing location.

|