Sunday, November 23, 2014

Candidates compete in City Council Democratic primary

By Emma Kerr, Summer Daily News Editor
Published August 5, 2014

With all precincts fully reporting in Tuesday’s primary elections, City Councilmember Sumi Kailasapathy (D–Ward 1) has won the Democratic nomination as an incumbent for her ward, Kirk Westphal, member of both the Planning and Environmental Commissions, has won the Democratic nomination for Ward 2, and UM-Dearborn lecturer Julie Grand has won the Democratic nomination in Ward 3.

The Ward 4 race was uncontested, with the nomination going to Graydon Kraphol, and did not appear on the primary ballot. In Ward 5, though two names appeared on the Democratic primary ballot, Leon Bryson withdrew from the race in late June, leaving incumbent Chuck Warpehoski to run de facto uncontested.

No Republicans ran in the primaries for any of the seats on Council.

Contesting Kailasapathy in the Ward 1 race was Don Adams, member of the Board of Directors for the Eisenhower Center. Kailasapathy, who has been on City Council for two years now, won with 56.76 percent of the vote. She was unavailable for comment Tuesday night.

Nancy Kaplan, member of the Ann Arbor District Library Board, also campaigned for the Ward 2 seat against Westphal. City Councilmember Sally Petersen (D-Ward 2), the incumbent, was not eligible to run for the position because of her run for mayor.

“I am so humbled and proud of all of the support that I have gotten over the past years. It has made me feel really loved and supported,” Westphal said in a speech to supporters Tuesday night. “I look forward to working with all of you and hearing from you over my term.”

Along with Grand, two other candidates — barber Bob Dascola and LSA sophomore Sam McMullen — competed for the Democratic nomination for the Ward 3 seat, left open by City Councilmember Christopher Taylor’s (D-Ward 3) run for mayor. Grant won with 51.13 percent.

In an interview Tuesday night, Grand said she was looking forward to one-on-one constituent work, as well as addressing affordable housing issues in the ward.

“I’m thinking about how we can make our basic services better, how we can continue to attract and retain residents,” she said. “We need to focus on quality of life as well as our basic services because it’s what is going to keep people here and draw people here.”

Controversy surrounded the Ward 3 race after a June ballot misprint issue, in which Bob Dascola’s name was mistakenly left off of nearly 400 absentee ballots. Following a motion filed by Dascola in federal court, misprinted ballots were not counted Tuesday night.

As of Tuesday morning, City Clerk Jacqueline Beaudry said there remained three individuals who had sent in misprinted ballots without also returning a second, corrected ballot, meaning their votes wouldn’t be counted. Beaudry said she expected one out of those three to turn in a corrected ballot later in the day. When reached Tuesday night, Dascola declined to comment on any potential further legal actions in response to the election results.

Countywide, 22nd Circuit Court candidates Pat Conlin and Veronique Liem, with 45 and 41 percent of the vote respectively in Tuesday’s primary, garnered the primary nominations to continue on to the general election in November.

In the non-partisan court primary, the top two candidates go on to the general election for the 22nd circuit court bench seat. Michael Woodyard, the third candidate, received 12.97 percent of the vote and will not advance to the general election.

|