Tuesday, September 2, 2014

CSG discusses attendance protocol, campus wireless connectivity

By Amrutha Sivakumar, For the Daily

After nearly adjourning due to a lack of quorum, Tuesday’s meeting of Central Student Government passed a resolution to amend the attendance policy of its representatives, created an addition to the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities and discussed the wireless experience on campus.

The assembly policy originally stated representatives could miss 12 meetings, but it did not specify the time period in which the meetings could accumulate. On Tuesday, CSG amended the operating procedures to “six absences per academic term” before a representative receives “recall proceedings,” where their position as a representative is reconsidered. These absences include committee and assembly meetings.

LSA junior Russ Hayes, a CSG representative, emphasized the importance of having student representatives attend council gatherings regularly.

“The best thing is to have folks working outside of CSG bring their best work here in meetings,” Hayes said. “This is just to reaffirm our obligations to CSG and make sure we are keeping up with all the opportunities that we’ve been provided to help out with Student Government.”

The amendment passed with a 17-to-1 majority, and the new procedure will begin at the start of the winter academic term on Jan. 1, 2013.

Assembly discusses medical amnesty policy

Earlier this year, Michigan House Bill 4393 was sanctioned, preventing students from facing legal trouble when seeking help for themselves or a friend while under the influence of alcohol. Subsequently, the University took initiatives to ensure that incoming freshmen were aware of the new law, introducing a section in the compulsory AlcoholEdu program that mentioned the details.

Though the bi-annual deadline to amend the Statement of Student Rights was last Friday, the deadline was extended to Tuesday so that CSG could vote to place a clause explaining medical amnesty in the statement.

The amendment was passed unanimously by CSG on Monday night, stating it intended to “better ensure that minors at medical risk as a result of alcohol intoxication will receive prompt and appropriate medical attention.”

Campus wireless and mobile connectivity discussed

Forrest Cox, a Public Policy senior and representative, introduced the problem faced by a lack of wireless connectivity in the Diag and certain parts of the Michigan Union. Furthermore, he brought up the lack of mobile phone reception on congested football game days.

Though the committee agreed that a lack of cell phone coverage was a problem, correcting the problem was determined by the assembly to be logistically impractical.

“The only way to correct it would be to surround the stadium with mobile cell towers,” LSA sophomore Dylan Hurd said.

Rather than focusing efforts on correcting the infrequent loss of cell phone coverage, the assembly discussed directing efforts toward correcting the lack of coverage on North Campus.

|