Tuesday, October 21, 2014

CSG approves winter term budget, reviews new funding proposals

By Kristen Fedor, Daily Staff Reporter

After Tuesday’s Central Student Government meeting, CSG President Michael Proppe, a business senior, tweeted that with a budget passed, CSG will, in fact, not shut down.

At the meeting, representatives reviewed the finalized budget for the upcoming semester and opened discussion on other funding proposals.

The only change to the recently released fall 2013 and winter 2014 budget was the transfer of $1,236 in expenses from Operations to Executive Discretionary. The money will be used to fund an upgrade of its council chambers.

Proppe said he was satisfied that a budget was finally passed, but still expressed frustration with the lack of funding for student organizations. He added that he originally hoped they would receive closer to half the total funding for the organization as opposed to the 42 percent they received.

“I’d like to see more money going towards Student Organization funding than we got in there, but everything is so bare boned,” he said. “I don’t know where else you would have pulled from. We have everything budgeted pretty low.”

Proppe said raising the student fee for CSG from $7.19 to $10 for next year would be an effective way to increase total funding, and would especially help Student Organizations. The $7.19 fee that is incorporated into students’ tuition payments has not been raised since 2005.

Representatives also heard from members of Michigan Undergraduates Serving in the Community Matters, a philanthropic student organization that hosts an annual spring concert for University students. It requested $14,000 from CSG to help fund its concert, hoping to hold it in the Crisler Center this year. The movement of the concert venue from Hill Auditorium has been a goal of the organization since it was founded in 2011.

In total, MUSIC Matters needs about $230,000 for the vision of a concert at the Crisler Center to become a reality. In addition to CSG, the organization is in contact with numerous other sponsors and is working on securing corporate sponsorships as well.

The organization’s previous concerts include performances from J. Cole and Ben Folds. All profits from ticket sales go to charity, though the beneficiary for this year’s concert is still undetermined. If the concert successfully moves to the Crisler Center, MUSIC Matters projects roughly 10,000 tickets to be sold.

The concert will take place on April 17, and the organization hopes to have an artist selected by March 3 at the latest.

CSG also heard from LSA senior Tyler Mesman, chair of the Transfer Students Resources Commission, who spoke about increasing mentorship and support for transfer students on campus.

The commission sent out a survey to just fewer than 3,000 transfer students last week and has already received about 350 responses.

The TSRC will hold its first symposium on Feb. 8th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will include 30 administrators and 30 transfer students, featuring an open discussion with the University to hear students’ concerns.

|