By Steve Zoski, Daily Staff Reporter
Published January 24, 2012
Representatives from the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority joined residents of Ann Arbor and other neighboring cities at last night's Ann Arbor City Council meeting to continue the ongoing discussion on plans for a new countywide public transportation authority.
More like this
Council revived discussion of the authority after postponing a vote at its meeting last week. During yesterday’s meeting, members once again decided to table a decision on the transportation item until the next meeting on Feb. 6, before passing a resolution in opposition to increased anti-immigration enforcement.
AATA CEO Michael Ford spoke in favor of the plan at the Jan. 16 meeting, and answered further questions from council members last night. Ford told the council that Salem, Sylvan, Bridgewater and Saline Townships are the only four municipalities in the county that have yet to commit to the new plan.
During the public hearing portion of last night’s meeting, about 40 speakers — including supporters and opponents of the proposed plan — spent approximately two hours taking 3-minute turns to voice their opinions to City Council members.
Michael Benson, president of Rackham Student Government, said while the graduate student body supports regional transportation, he personally believes the pending legislation needs additional work.
“On behalf of the graduate students of the University of Michigan, we certainly support the initiative,” Benson said. “I think some of the details — specifically the financing — need to be worked out.”
Ypsilanti Mayor Paul Schreiber, who spoke in the public hearing section of the meeting, said he also supported the measure.
“Think macroscopically, think about how bringing people in is going to help your city,” Schreiber said.
Several opponents of the measure spoke as well, showing concern with the cost of the plan. Council member Jane Lumm (I–Ward 2) and several other opponents of the bill said they felt further public input was necessary before creating a new countywide authority.
“I want to thank the folks at AATA for their patience,” Lumm said. “I certainly support the postponement, and look forward to getting the final plans.”
Throughout the night, several speakers, including Ann Arbor resident Clark Treneski, said they felt prolonged discussions were testing their patience.
“We've already had two years of public input,” Treneski said. “I am not worried as an Ann Arbor taxpayer, I'm not worried about my neighbors stealing my money. This is the time to buckle down and move forward. I just turned 70 — I'm tired of waiting.”
In an interview following the public hearings, City Council member Sabra Briere (D–Ward 1) said she was happy to see a large amount of public interest over the matter, as reflected in the expansive amount of speakers present at last night’s meeting.
“I'm really pleased with the large amount of speakers, it's not only important, but it's significant that the opinions are pretty evenly balanced,” Briere said. “ … It's nice to see that a lot of people care enough to come out and that we can hear different perspectives.”
Council passes resolution in support of immigrant rights
Earlier in the meeting, several citizens spoke during the public commentary section in support of a resolution to oppose increased anti-immigration enforcement in the city. The council later passed the resolution.
In support of the proposal, audience members held signs advocating for immigrant rights during the meeting. Proponents who addressed council said they felt the resolution is an important part of the effort to stop the unfair deportation of immigrants they believe to be hardworking and non-threatening to society.





















