Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Daily elects 2013 editors

By Jennifer Calfas, Daily Staff Reporter
Published December 10, 2012

More than 100 staff members of The Michigan Daily filled the second floor of the Stanford Lipsey Student Publications Building to elect the paper’s new editor in chief on Nov. 9. After hours of posing questions, the staff chose candidate Andrew Weiner, a Public Policy junior, to serve as the editor-in-chief for the 2013 calendar year.

The staff-wide elections are held every fall semester to determine the — editor in chief and editorial page editor for the following year. The remaining sections — news, arts, sports, photo, copy and design — determine their managing editors through separate, section-specific elections.

The managing editor is appointed by the paper’s Management Desk, consisting of the managing editors of each section, the senior editors and the editor-in-chief.

Weiner, who previously served as managing editor and editorial page editor, said he wants to focus on improving the paper’s online presence and interaction with readers.

“We’re kind of in the same boat as pretty much every other newspaper,” Weiner said. “We’re working in a much smaller market, so we don’t have the clout that The New York Times has in terms of developing web applications and things like that. It’s important that we further develop our website and its interaction with the community.”

Weiner added that social media is important for improving relationships and increasing communication between the sections, noting that he believes everyone on staff should know each other.

He added he hopes no lawsuits occur during his year as editor in chief, an issue the Daily has occasionally dealt with in the past.

“I think the best legacy an editor-in-chief can leave is no big legal problems, and putting the paper closer to the 21st century,” Weiner said.

LSA junior Melanie Kruvelis will join current editorial page editor, Adrienne Roberts, an LSA junior, as co-EPE for the paper’s opinion section. Kruvelis said she and Roberts hope to enhance the opinion section’s online presence to provide more mediums for people to discuss important issues.

She added that the co-EPEs hope to diversify the content in the opinion section to relate better to the University.

“I really hope that we’re putting out content that’s really challenging students to think about what’s going on around them, both locally and nationally, in ways they haven’t expected,” Kruvelis said.

Roberts agreed with Kruvelis, and added that she wants to continue to attract editorial board members from across campus to ensure that each editorial is well-rounded.

LSA junior Matt Slovin will serve as managing editor after working for a year as a senior sports editor. He said he is excited to develop a broader view of the paper outside of sports.

He added that he plans to improve communication between the managing editor and the sections, as well as enhance the website.

“That’s the direction journalism is heading, so that’s where we need to focus a lot of our time,” Slovin said in reference to the Daily’s website. “Updating it with fresh content around the clock will be very important.”

Similarly, many section editors said they hope to improve the Daily’s online presence in the upcoming year.

Newly elected managing news editor Adam Rubenfire, an LSA junior, said he is excited to have a new digital news editor position on the staff next year, a cause he championed throughout the past semester.

“I’m excited that the news section will be able to put a bigger emphasis on social media, blogging and video,” Rubenfire said.

He said the news staff plans to launch a weekly video program that involves commentary from Daily reporters on the news from that week.

“I think this will be great, as our audience will be able to see the ‘story behind the story,’” he said.

|