Tuesday, July 29, 2014

UM Engineering Council elects new leadership

By Amrutha Sivakumar, Daily Staff Reporter

With 222 total votes cast out of 5,284 total students in the College of Engineering, midnight on Nov. 29 meant the closing of ballots and release of final the decision on who would fill executive and legislative positions in the University of Michigan Engineering Council.

The elected candidates for contested positions included Ahmad Ayash, as director of leadership, with 78 percent of votes, and Mallik Gunduguntla, for director of finance, with 51 percent of votes.

Cristine Zuchora, president; Michael Mull, vice president; Morgan Quist, social affairs director; Brianna Johnson, director of publicity; Adrienne Llanes, student affairs director; John Lee, corporate director; and Mengdi Zu, honors and service director — were all elected uncontested.

UMEC allowed candidates to give short speeches at the last general body meeting of the term, which coincided with the last hours of the election.

Though candidates for all positions were provided the opportunity to speak at the meeting, the Director of Leadership, Director of Finance, and Student Affairs Director candidates were absent.

Engineering senior Zuchora, the uncontested and elected presidential candidate, voiced her hopes to improve transparency within the organization to ensure that updates were posited on the website weekly. She also hoped to increase involvement during UMEC general body meetings, including making sure more resolutions were passed.

“I hope to get more organization events going,” Zuchora said. “I would love for us to become a more tighter community in Engineering.”

Given that career fair planning is already taken care of by the Engineering Career Resource Center, John Lee, corporate director, wanted to more clearly define his role and extend it to include networking initiatives. He also noted that he wanted to specifically invite government agencies like the FBI.

“What I would like to do is reach out to non-engineering companies,” he said. “I feel like we already have enough engineering companies come here.”

“At (government) agencies, there’s a lot of opportunities for students to secure jobs and internships,” Lee added. “Public service is a really good thing for some of us here.”

Engineering freshman Mengdi Zhu, honors and service director, will be responsible for conducting the North Campus Service Day and the Order of the Engineers, a fellowship of University engineering students that promotes professionalism and ethics. Zhu said she aspired to get as many students as possible involved in these events, adding that Engineering students can contribute uniquely to community service by providing their technical knowledge.

“Personally, I think (the North Campus Service Day) is a very great event,” she said. “Not only do we have a passion towards our academics, but we also have a responsibility towards society.”

Correction appended: A previous version of this article misstated the amount of students eligible to vote in the Engineering Council elections.