Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Student government election to fill 18 vacant assembly positions

By Amrutha Sivakumar, Daily Staff Reporter

As elections come to a close Wednesday at midnight, CSG representatives will welcome newly elected members to their next meeting.

Though presidential and full assembly elections are held every year in March, the November CSG election is meant to fill vacant seats within the assembly and facilitate elections for other student governments on campus.

Though eight colleges are holding CSG assembly elections, eight of the 18 vacant seats are set aside for Rackham Graduate School representatives. However, Rackham — which has 10 available seats — does not have any candidates registered on their ballot, which means only write-in candidates can be elected.

Though there are 18 total seats up in the air, not all of those seats are currently vacant.
Some seats were made vacant during the year and appointed representatives have held them in the interim, and they are now faced with defending their seats in this election if they’ve chosen to run.

CSG’s Tuesday meeting commenced with discussions on a resolution to eliminate and amend ambiguous language in CSG’s Compiled Code. Earlier, the official document was found to incorrectly dictate the responsibilities of council members and contained several typos.

The changes included removing any responsibilities from the CSG’s office staff and changed the timeline for each semester’s budget, instructing that it be submitted “no later than two weeks into the fall terms or no later than one week prior to the start of the winter terms.”

“This (resolution) is going to fix all of the things that we came across and disagreed with when going through the compiled code,” said Business Junior Michael Proppe, the assembly chair.

An article that bans Assembly members form working for University President Mary Sue Coleman, the University’s Board of Regents, deans and executive officers was also resolved to be removed from the compiled code.

“This is a conflict of interest that would have affected me and the others working in the (Rules) committee,” Proppe noted.

Assembly members also again discussed a resolution that would limit the time period given to guest speakers at assembly meetings.

In discussions at earlier CSG meetings, several members of the Assembly expressed concern regarding the time period for guest speakers.

Members of the Assembly put a resolution forward to provide each guest speaker an allotted ten minutes for discussion. If the speaker planned on providing handouts, it must be sent to the assembly speaker 48 hours in advance. The resolution will be revisited at the next meeting.

“If you can’t tell the Assembly what you need in 10 minutes or less, you yourself don’t have a big enough grasp on what you need,” Engineering sophomore Dylan Hurd said.

—Daily Staff Reporter Giacomo Bologna contributed to this report.