Thursday, November 20, 2014

Ten new members elected to 2013 LSA-SG positions

By Amrutha Sivakumar, Daily Staff Reporter

Though only 6.4 percent of LSA students voted in the college’s student government election, those who participated elected 10 new members and approved three ballot questions.

The candidates who won the 10 open seats as LSA-SG representatives are Ibrahim Hamati, Will Canning, Ilana Lieberman, Sook Peng How, Tyler Mesman, Kelli Bartelotti, Allie Hammoud, Justin Hart, Kendall Johnson, and William O'Brien — in order of decreasing vote count.

All candidates are new to the position of LSA-SG representative, with the exception of Johnson, who was re-elected to her seat. The platforms of the candidates included initiatives to increase transparency between LSA-SG and the student body, improve transportation between campus and off-campus housing, increase printing pages allotted for students and coordinate to bring more concerts to campus.

Besides holding elections for 10 open representative positions, LSA-SG allowed students to vote on three ballot questions that allow the University to gauge students’s perceptions on University issues.

Athletes are allowed to register for courses at an earlier time than the rest of the student body in order to compensate for their practice schedules. The first question on the LSA-SG ballot asked students whether they were in favor of granting a similar opportunity to the University’s Reserve Officer Training Corp. The ballot question passed with 55 percent of participating students voting in favor of allowing ROTC members to register early, 25 percent were opposed and 20 percent had no preference.

The second LSA-SG ballot proposal addressed the limited capacity of the LSA course guide and asked students if they were in favor of adding an option that allows them to search for courses available at select times.

The course guide now requires that students search through classes classified only through subject and course level, and the new option would allow users to search classes that fit gaps in their schedule.

On the question of whether to add the extension to the course guide, 92 percent of students voted in favor of adding the extension to the course guide, 3 percent of students preferred that the LSA course guide not include this search option and 5 percent voted for the option indicating no preference on the issue.

The third ballot question on the LSA-SG poll questioned whether or not students were aware the Medical Amnesty Act — a recently established state policy that allows students to seek medical assistance for intoxication without receiving a citation for Minor in Possession of Alcohol — and preferred that it be included in the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

The amendment passed with 65 percent of students voting that they were aware of the law and in favor of amending the statement. Students unaware of the law, but in favor of changing the statement totaled 17 percent. Only 2 percent of students were aware of the law but opposed the changes, and 4 percent of students were not aware of the law and opposed the amendments.

Twelve percent of students who voted had no preference on amending the statement.

|