Friday, October 24, 2014

New 7-Eleven to open in Landmark lobby in December

By Alicia Adamczyk, Daily Staff Reporter

Landmark occupants and surrounding residents will soon have another place to get their Slurpee fix.

A new 7-Eleven franchise is slated to open Dec. 3 in the secured lobby of the Landmark high-rise complex on the corner of South University and South Forrest avenues. Margaret Chabris, 7-Eleven spokeswoman, said the new store will sell beer, liquor and wine to appeal to a student demographic, much like the State Street store, which opened last January.

“Each store is merchandised to better meet the convenience needs of their customers,” Chabris said.

Chabris said the franchise is owned by Rani Thuluri, who is leaving her current position at an automotive parts supplier to open several 7-Eleven franchises.

Landmark, which opened this fall, is also expected to host a No Thai! restaurant and Tim Horton’s café and bakery. There are two additional spots available in the lobby of the complex for other retailers.

Several students noted that the store's proximity to classes and their homes would determine whether or not they patronized it. LSA senior Vince Zobel said he was happy to see the store opening and would likely purchase snacks and alcohol, as long as the prices remain competitive with other convenience stores.

"I'm excited to see it open," Zobel said. "It's a lot closer to my house."

LSA junior Stephanie Benjamin, a Landmark resident, said she joked to her friends that she wished a J. Crew clothing store had opened instead.

Engineering senior Kayla Zabowaski said she too would likely stop in the new Landmark location from time to time.

"I love it," Zabowski said. "Now I can get coffee when I walk to the bus."

School of Art & Design senior Shayna Sell also emphasized the location of the store as one of the primary reasons she would shop there between classes.

"It's close by," Sell said. "It's convenient for odds and ends like snacks and Slurpees."

However, LSA junior Thi Tran said he probably wouldn't get his Slurpee fix from the South University location.

"The one on State Street is closer," Tran said. "I'm too lazy for that."

|