Monday, April 21, 2014

Groups rally in front of the court

By K.C. Wassman, Daily Staff Reporter

WASHINGTON — Diversity was the message on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court Wednesday as hundreds gathered outside for the proceedings of Fisher v. University of Texas, which could have lasting implications on how affirmative action is used in college admissions.

About 200 people waited in line to watch the argument from inside the court, some even camping out overnight to ensure their spots. Others gathered on the steps outside to voice their opinions on the case, a majority in support of upholding affirmative action, and a select few in opposition to the policy.

The National Action Network and the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights joined forces to host a rally on the steps of the Supreme Court in support of the University of Texas. The rally included speakers from a variety of universities and organizations, including the University of Texas and the NAACP.

About 250 people came to the rally in support of the University of Texas. Many held signs with slogans like ‘One of Many, One America,’ ‘Expand Opportunity,’ and ‘Diversity Works,’ while chants of “Can’t stop, won’t stop” echoed throughout the crowd.

Prominent speakers included Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson, two well-known civil rights leaders. The pair spoke to the crowd briefly after the oral arguments, both stressing the importance of diversity in undergraduate education and praising the students who came to support affirmative action.

In a press statement, Jackson said he believes the prosecuting side did not present a strong case and failed to show injury to Abigail Fisher, the woman who was denied admission to the University of Texas and subsequently sued the university for unfair admission policies.

Sharpton spoke at the event about the broader importance of diversity and how it is important to ensure that today’s universities reflect the demographics of modern America.

“There are no victims when you have racial diversity,” Sharpton said. “There are only victims when you stop racial diversity … We are fighting for the inclusion of all, and that is what this case is all about.”

Accompanied by University of Texas student Joshua Tang, Sharpton concluded his address by leading the audience in a back and forth chant of the end of the Pledge of Allegiance and the phrase “Forward ever, backward never.”

Many students participated in the rally, including high school students from the Washington, D.C. area and college students from Georgetown University, Howard University, the University of Texas, Western Michigan University and Wayne State University.

Tabrien Joe, a freshman at Western Michigan University, spoke at the rally with the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, Integration, and Immigrant Rights and Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary, a Michigan-based organization. Joe spoke to the crowd about the importance of student activism.

"I think the people that heard me today understand that it takes two to fight," Joe said. "In 2003, with the case at the University of Michigan,(BAMN) organized 60,000 students and they marched and the Supreme Court ruled in our favor and I think we can do that again."

Kate Stenvig, a University alum and the BAMN college organizer, said she came to the event with six other members of the organization to watch the case and show their commitment to furthering affirmative action.

“I think students from Michigan lead the fight to defend affirmative action,” Stenvig said. “I think the same thing is true today, whatever the outcome of the legal case is we are going to continue to fight in the court and to build a new civil rights movement.”

Though the majority of people gathered at the Supreme Court were in support of the University of Texas, supporters of Abigail Fisher also rallied in opposition to affirmative action.

|