Monday, September 1, 2014

Zahn gone: Nine''s coach leaves team

BY BENJAMIN SINGER
Daily Sports Editor

After a week of speculation about Geoff Zahn"s status as the Michigan baseball coach, the Athletic Department announced its acceptance of his resignation yesterday.

"We appreciate the effort and the time Zahn has given our program," Michigan Athletic Director Bill Martin said in a released statement. "We wish Geoff all the best."

Last Tuesday, Zahn was not at practice and his office was cleaned out. The players were told he was resolving issues with the administration. Zahn"s assistant of six years, Chris Harrison, has been named the interim coach for this season.

"Over the past year and a half, there have been some personal circumstances that have taken much of the joy out of coaching for me," Zahn said in the release. "I have always felt that when it ceases to be fun to come to work, it"s time to move on. I believe it is best for me, my family and the Michigan baseball program that I resign."

The players and coaches say they have not been given a reason for Zahn"s resignation.

"It"s an administrative decision and coach Zahn"s decision and that"s the way we have to leave it," Harrison said.

In June of 2000, Zahn was suspended for several days by the University after Martin received several letters from players complaining of his coaching style, but there has been no indication that this is related to Zahn"s resignation.

"It was a shock to see that all of his stuff was gone (last Tuesday)," senior pitcher Bobby Korecky said. "If anything was said, it was deemed to be a rumor, from the stuff that happened the previous summer."

Harrison found out several days ago that he was likely to become the interim coach.

Zahn "hasn"t been to practice for a few days so the toughest time for the team was a few weeks ago," Harrison said.

The athletic department will conduct a nationwide search for next season"s permanent coach.

"I"d like to stay on, but that"s going to be (the department"s) decision," Harrison said.

Harrison takes over a team which has lost just two members of its coaching staff. Pitching coach Steve Foster announced his departure which Harrison said he believes is completely separate from Zahn"s leaving last week to coach for a summer team in Wisconsin.

|