Monday, April 21, 2014

Women's swimming falls to Indiana

BY MICHAEL LAURILA
Daily Sports Writer

In October, the No. 15 Michigan women’s swimming and diving team faced No. 14 Indiana and came out victorious.

But the Wolverines weren't so lucky on Saturday as they traveled to Bloomington for another dual meet and lost 157-127.

Although the loss was disheartening, there were some indications that pointed to improvement. In the first event, the 200-yard medley relay, Michigan was defeated, but Michigan coach Jim Richardson was pleased with the swims.

“There were some signs that we saw in the meet, particularly in the 50’s, that looked very, very good for us,” Richardson said. “We haven’t shown much speed at all in the year, and we had 16 swims in the first relay. I think all 16 of them were the fastest people have been all year long in a 50.”

Over winter break, Michigan traveled to Puerto Rico for a training trip. The Wolverines meet against the Hoosiers was their first meet back from the trip.

“We’re just coming out of our training trip in Puerto Rico where we spent a week and a half doing really hard work,” junior Caitlin Dauw said. “We just started a new dry land program, so I think everyone is a little sore and tired from that.”

Leading the way for Michigan was Dauw and senior Natasha Moodie. Moodie placed first in the 50-yard freestyle and second in the 100-yard freestyle against the Hoosiers. Dauw followed suit by winning the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 54.73 seconds.

“I think I swam pretty well,” Dauw said. “I was right around my season best, so I was happy with that.”

And junior Amanda Lohman placed the highest of any Michigan diver, placing third in the one-meter competition and fourth on the platform.

When the Wolverines defeated Indiana in the fall, the meet was neck and neck the entire time. And although Saturday's score doesn't show it, Michigan remained competitive throughout the entire meet.

“The races that we had a chance in were very close; they were bang-bang finishes,” Richardson said. “Back in the fall when we swam them, we got a lot of those finishes and this time they got a lot of those finishes."

The next time the Wolverines face Indiana will be at the Big Ten Championships on Feb. 16. Michigan still has five more dual meets in the month of January to prepare for that competition.

“I think Big Ten’s are different because it really comes down to how your top swimmers are swimming,” Richardson said. “Indiana swam at the National Championships in December and I think they were one of the two best college teams at that meet."

|