Friday, October 31, 2014

Two 'U' students charged in federal court for shipment of fake IDs

BY STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

Two University students and one Michigan State University student have been charged in federal court after authorities intercepted a FedEx package from Toronto with 48 fake ID cards, according to The Associated Press.

The package was being shipped to an apartment in Ann Arbor, according to the AP. LSA sophomores Barak Leibovitz and Samuel Hamburger were confronted by immigration agents yesterday.

Michigan State University freshman Zachary Firestone was arrested when he drove from East Lansing to pick up 21 of the 48 ID cards, federal agents told the AP.

Hamburger said in an interview that he is not involved in the incident outside of the fact that he lives with Leibovitz.

“I have nothing to do with this,” Hamburger told The Michigan Daily. “I just signed my name when a package came to the house. I had nothing to do with this whole ID operation.”

Agents say Michigan State University student Zachary Firestone was arrested when he drove from East Lansing to pick up 21 of the 48 cards, according to the AP.

In the interview, Hamburger said the incident is being blown out of proportion and that right now he’s only concerned about the negative media attention.

“Everything is being blown out of proportion,” Hamburger said. “We are all doing fine. Everything is fine.”

— The Associated Press and Daily Staff Reporter Devon Thorsby contributed to this report.