Arts

Friday, July 25, 2014

Soundtrack relies on G-Unit's rappers

BY ANDREW KAHN
Daily Arts Writer

The soundtrack to 50 Cent's new movie, "Get Rich or Die Tryin'," is saturated with artists from G-Unit. Every rapper on the album also shows up on a recently released G-Unit mixtape. Coincidence? This doesn't negatively affect the album, but it lacks a soundtrack vibe. What we get is a compilation of quality, but generic, G-Unit songs.

50 teams up with Mobb Deep (and Nate Dogg, the only non-G-Unit presence) on the up-tempo "Have a Party." The guitar and trumpet-infused club song is the album's premier track, even though Havoc and Prodigy's verses are full of compliments for their new boss. "Hustler's Ambition" is by far 50's best solo song on the album (and also superior to most of The Massacre's tracks). He breezes over the tight beat, including a smooth 1950s sample that gives it an old-school, pre-fame hunger. It's difficult to say whether he took on the persona of his film's character, since 50 has rapped about this stuff before. In other words, there is no dramatic monologue akin to "Lose Yourself" on Get Rich.

The rest of the G-Unit family give mixed performances. Banks, with his raspy flow, shines on his solo appearances. Tony Yayo's lone appearance - the unbearable "Fake Love" - is meaningless; Olivia and rapper-turned-pastor-turned-rapper Ma$e do no better. 50 could have sought grimy street rappers whose styles better fit the film's themes but used Get Rich to showcase his label. But from mid-'90s rap stars trying to make mainstream comebacks to up-and-comers, 50's roster delivers a collection of stable joints, even if the formula is somewhat brand-name.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

|