Thursday, October 30, 2014

Penn State picks up its second Big Ten win with 55-51 victory over Michigan

Ariel Bond/Daily
Assistant Coach Mike Jackson and head coach John Beilien scowl as Michigan plays against Penn State on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2010 at Crisler Arena. The Wolverines lost 55-51. Buy this photo

BY NICOLE AUERBACH
Daily Sports Editor

Basketball fans will tell you, every team is capable of making a run. That couldn't have been more true Saturday evening during the Michigan men's basketball team's game against Penn State. Streaky was an understatement, but as it turned out, the most important shot of the game was one that ended a run.

With 15 seconds left in the game, after a Manny Harris 7-0 run that pulled Michigan within two points, Nittany Lions junior forward Jeff Brooks nailed a mid-range jumper to put Penn State up four, and essentially seal the game. The Nittany Lions beat the Wolverines 55-51.

The game's first half was a story of runs, as each team had at least one double-digit run before halftime. Michigan’s came early, in the first part of the half to stake an early 15-6 lead, and Penn State immediately followed with 10 straight to take a 16-15 lead. The second Nittany Lions’ run came close to halftime, an 11-0 stretch to take a 29-27 lead.

Despite the streakiness, the contest was tied at halftime. Penn State built a slight lead early in the second half, and went on a 12-3 run midway through the half to extend its lead to nine.

But Harris caught fire, with a three and two baskets that gave the Wolverines life late in the contest. But Penn State's more-than-six-minute scoring drought until the game's final moments wasn't enough of an opportunity for Michigan to claw its way back into the game for good.

The win was Penn State's second in conference play.