Come September, students will race down the Huron River in large boats with handcrafted dragon heads on the front. The race will be a part of the College of Literature, Science and the Arts theme for the upcoming 2007-2008 academic year, “China in the World,” University officials said.

The Center for Chinese Studies, a division of the University’s International Institute, is managing the theme year. They will find speakers and plan events, said Summer Tucker, the center’s administrator.

Tucker said China is a perfect theme for next year because of the University’s large number of Asian and Asian-American students, growing interest in Chinese studies, the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing and the University’s partnership with Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

University Musical Society Director Ben Johnson said planners are scheduling an “Asia Festival” that will take place in the fall.

It will include a performance by Shen Wei Dance Arts in collaboration with the University Musical Society. The dance company, which blends Chinese dance with opera, will require more backstage support than any group in University history – even the Royal Shakespeare Company, Johnson said.

“I am thrilled to be able to offer the festival as a way to help with the University’s diversity initiative, and to introduce the community to a wide range of important art forms in Asia,” Johnson said.

Other scheduled events include a lecture series called “China Through a Global Lens,” a photo contest called “China: Traditions New and Old,” a documentary film series, a book series for elementary and high school students, art and architectural exhibits and a Chinese New Year parade through the streets of Ann Arbor.

Students can register for the fall semester of the theme year courses in topics related to Chinese language, history, faith and culture with a special focus on China’s role in the world.

Related courses include Political Science 339: China’s Evolution Under Communism, Art History: 386, Painting and Poetry in China and Studies in Religion 323: Zen: History, Culture and Critique.

When LSA Dean Terrence McDonald sent an e-mail asking University faculty for theme proposals in Fall 2005, he said he wanted submissions for themes that would elicit dialogue on campus.

“Theme semesters are opportunities for the college to come together in a series of exchanges across disciplinary boundaries,” McDonald wrote. “They invoke a common theme and convene campus-wide public activities that engage our students, colleagues, and the wider community in a dialogue on challenging issues.”