2011-02-15

Thursday, November 27, 2014

February 28, 2011 - 11:39pm

New dean of Business School named

BY JOSEPH LICHTERMAN

Alison Davis-Blake, the dean of the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota, will be the next dean of the Ross School of Business, University Provost Philip Hanlon wrote in an e-mail to Business School students early this morning.

Pending approval by the University’s Board of Regents, Davis-Blake will start her term on Aug. 22. She will replace current Business School Dean Bob Dolan, who’s held the post since 2001. Dolan announced last March that he wouldn’t seek a third five-year term as dean.

In the e-mail, Hanlon — writing on behalf of University President Mary Sue Coleman as well — wrote that he anticipates Davis-Blake will continue to enhance the world-renowned reputation of the Business School.

“President Coleman and I are extremely pleased that Alison Davis-Blake is assuming the helm of the Stephen. M. Ross School of Business at this time of dramatic change within business education and practice,” Hanlon wrote. “We are confident that she will provide outstanding leadership for the Ross School, increasing its international presence as well as delivering innovative education for our graduates who will work in a global economy.”

Davis-Blake’s research and teaching are focused on human resources strategy, Hanlon wrote.

“She is an expert in outsourcing arrangements and organizational employment practices such as the use of temporary and contract workers and the design of organizational salary structures,” Hanlon wrote.

According to the e-mail, Davis-Blake has been the dean at the Carlson School since 2006. She earned a bachelor’s and master’s degree from Brigham Young University and a Ph.D. in organizational behavior from Stanford University in 1986.

Prior to arriving at the University of Minnesota, Davis-Blake worked at the University of Texas at Austin from 1990 until 2006, ultimately becoming the university’s associate dean for academic affairs, the e-mail states. Blake-Davis also previously worked at Carnegie Mellon University as an assistant professor of industrial administration.