Thursday, October 2, 2014

Nebraska applies to the Big Ten

BY MARK BURNS
Daily Sports Writer
Published June 11, 2010

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney announced earlier this evening that the University of Nebraska's Board of Regents approved the University's move from the Big 12 to the Big Ten.

The Board of Regents, consisting of eight voting regents and four students regents, met earlier today in a closed-door meeting to discuss the switch to the Big Ten.

With the change-of-conference, the Big Ten will now have 12 teams, and for football, that could potentially mean a switch to two six-team divisions, with a conference championship game similar to the Southeastern Conference.

In an official statement, Michigan athletic director David Brandon acknowledged Nebraska's application.

"I can confirm that Nebraska has applied to the Big Ten Conference for membership," Brandon said in the statement. "I can also confirm that the Big Ten has done its due diligence as it relates to Nebraska. I expect that an announcement will be forthcoming from the Big Ten in regard to Nebraska’s membership very soon."

With that announcement coming today, that means the Nebraska will officially become a part of the conference on July 1, 2011, according to Delaney.

This is a developing story. Keep checking back with MichiganDaily.com for future updates.