Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Michigan women's swimming takes fifth at Purdue Invitational

BY MICHAEL LAURILA
Daily Sports Writer

As the defending champions of the Purdue Invitational, the No. 13 Michigan's women's swimming and diving team couldn't win again in West Lafayette, finishing the three-day meet on Sunday in fifth place.

The Wolverines saw plenty of competition with No. 17 Arkansas, No. 19 Purdue, No. 20 Louisville and No. 21 Ohio State in attendance.

"I think that our performances were pretty much on par with what we’ve been doing all fall," Michigan coach Jim Richardson said. "I thought we might swim a little bit faster, but it's clear that the work we’ve been doing this fall has really been substantial, and a day and half of rest is not enough to recuperate and perform at a significantly higher level."

The meet was a prelim-final invitational, which means that Wolverine swimmers had to swim in preliminary heats before the reaching the finals later in the day.

"We had some people do better in the morning," Richardson said. "We had some that went the other way and were a little slower in the morning but faster at night."

It was the first multi-team invitational this season for Michigan. These types of meets are beneficial in preparing the swimmers for large meets such as NCAAs or Big Tens.

Senior Natasha Moodie continued her successful season finishing fourth in the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle. She was also a member of the second place 200-yard freestyle relay and sixth place 200-yard Medley Relay.

Junior Caitlin Dauw placed second in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 54.47. She was touched out by a mere .14 seconds, but her time was an NCAA consideration time.

"I thought that Caitlin Dauw and Adrienne Bicek were just really solid through the meet," Richardson said. "They were implicating everything that they’ve done all year long."

During the first day, sophomore Adrienne Bicek achieved NCAA consideration time in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing in seventh place.

In the diving well, junior Amanda Lohman placed fourth in the three-meter diving competition and third in the one-meter diving competition.

The Wolverines will be back in action in two weeks when they travel to the Eastern Michigan Invitational.

"I think the first thing were going to do is get some rest over Thanksgiving," Richardson said. "They’ve had a pretty tough schedule this fall. Between the training and the swimming its been pretty demanding and they’re tired. We’re going to return to very substantial training a week from tomorrow.