Saturday, April 19, 2014

Michigan women’s swimming drops weekend meets with Stanford, Florida

BY ANDREW BAUSCHELT
For the Daily

With the season still in its infancy, the Michigan women’s swimming and diving team traveled to Palo Alto, Calif. for a tough test with two of the nation’s most prominent teams: Stanford, last year's national champions, and Florida, the runner-up.

After two losses, 273-147 to the Cardinal and 300-129 to the Gators, the Wolverines found they still have work to do.

“While the scores may not say so, I would say the meet went well," senior captain Natasha Moodie said this weekend. “We had a hard week of practice and with the added variables of traveling, switching time zones and the tough competition, there’s no doubt that all of our team gave 110 percent out there.”

Both Moodie and sophomore Adrienne Bicek continued their stellar seasons this past weekend by earning two wins apiece.

After having her undefeated streak snapped in the 50-yard freestyle on the first day of the two-day competition, Moodie came out on Saturday and won the event. She also helped pace the 200-yard freestyle relay team to a victory.

“Both days weren’t perfect and there were mistakes, but it was just about who got to the wall first," Moodie said.

Bicek earned her two victories on Friday by prevailing in the 200-yard butterfly and the 500-yard freestyle. She also swam to a second-place finish in the 500-yard freestyle on Saturday.

After being named Big Ten Co-Swimmer of the Week days before the meet, Bicek proved the title was no fluke as both of her times met the NCAA ‘B’ consideration standard time. She did the same last week in the team's split with Indiana and Texas.

On the diving side, junior Amanda Lohman picked up right where she left off from past meets with strong showings in the one-meter and three-meter board, in which she placed second and third, respectively.

The past two weeks of double-dual meets gave Michigan an opportunity to assess its progress and provided individuals with the chance to earn NCAA qualifying times.

And with upcoming conference meets and the NCAA Championships in March, there's certainly room for improvement. But the accomplishments of the swimmers and divers over the past meets also show that this young team is poised to turn heads.

“Racing teams like Stanford and Florida help us not be complacent,” Moodie said. “In racing teams like these, we are motivated to become just as good as they are.”

Michigan will have a week off from competition before heading to West Lafayette for the Purdue Invitational, a three-day event that the Wolverines won in 2009.