Thursday, August 21, 2014

M-Note: Wolverines compete in diving regionals

BY FéLIX CARREóN
Daily Sports Writer

The women’s diving team competed in the NCAA Zone C Championships this weekend at the Boilermaker Aquatic Center, looking to earn an invitation to the NCAA Championships next weekend at the same venue.

Sophomore Amanda Lohman made the most of her opportunity at the diving regionals, punching her ticket to NCAAs in the one-meter springboard.

Lohman finished second in the event, putting her in position to earn her first NCAA appearance.

“She was steady the whole time and really kept her composure under pressure,” Michigan coach Chris Bergére said through the Athletic Department. "I couldn't be happier. She couldn't be happier. It really takes the pressure off the rest of her weekend by qualifying on the first day.”

Seniors Caitlin Dunphy-Daly and Stephanie O’Callaghan competed in their last meet for the Wolverines. Junior Rachel Ropeik had the only other top ten finish for Michigan in the platform diving, placing ninth in the event.

Bergére hopes Lohman will contribute to the Wolverines’ success next weekend at the NCAA Championships.

“She's got to be consistent and have good dives,” Bergére said. Score somewhere between the 6.5-8 range and she'll be good to go. Her first couple of dives need to be strong, because they'll cut after that, so those are key for her."