Friday, July 25, 2014

'M' nabs first victory of the season 4-1 over Bowling Green

BY CASANDRA PAGNI
Daily Sports Writer

BOWLING GREEN — In its first CCHA series of the year, the No. 4 Michigan hockey team (1-0-0 CCHA, 1-0-1 overall) had visibly regrouped from a season-opening 4-4 tie against unranked Mercyhurst. The Wolverines beat Bowling Green 4-1 on Friday — giving coach Red Berenson his 700th career win.

The Falcons found the net first, capitalizing on Michigan penalties by junior defender Greg Pateryn and senior center Louie Caporusso. Pateryn was called for cross checking with at 9:36 in the first period, but the Wolverines’ penalty kill was strong for the duration. But when Caporusso got tagged for hooking just less than two minutes later, Bowling Green put one past senior netminder Shawn Hunwick after winning a faceoff on Michigan’s end of the ice.

But the Wolverines rebounded quickly. Drawing its first power play of the game just over a minute after the Falcon goal, senior left wing Carl Hagelin set up center Matt Rust for the give-and-go equalizer after 13:51 in the first.

Senior left wing David Wohlberg continued the Wolverines offensive attack in the first, netting his first goal of the season on a breakaway with five minutes to play in the first. Wolhberg’s goal came off an assist by junior right wing Luke Glendening and Pateryn to put Michigan up 2-1.

The Wolverines were on a power play in the last minute of the first period but couldn’t get off any quality shots on Bowling Green netminder Nick Eno, despite winning a faceoff in the Bowling Green end seconds after the penalty call.

But just 52 seconds into the second period — and still on the power play — sophomore right wing Kevin Lynch netted his first goal of the year to give Michigan the two goal advantage.

Penalties again played a large part in Friday’s game, as the Wolverines racked up eight minutes in the box in the second period alone — including having to play one minute of five-on-three because of back-to-back cross-checking and holding calls on Pateryn and senior defenseman Tristin Llewellyn, respectively. But the Wolverines penalty kill came up big again, keeping Bowling Green from finding the back of Hunwick's net.

In a last-minute effort to get some offense going, the Falcons pulled Eno with one minute remaining in the third period. But Michigan capitalized, as Hagelin placed a shot into the empty net with 16 seconds remaining in the game to give Michigan its first victory of the 2010 season.

|