Friday, July 25, 2014

Kayal a 'big time' player for Blue

BY MICHAEL NISSON
Daily Sports Writer

It seems as if Andrea Kayal has been playing soccer forever, but in reality she has only played for 16 years.

DAVID KATZ/Daily Andrea Kayal scored both Michigan goals in her last home game.

More like this

"My uncle said, 'you have to start playing' because all of my cousins did, so I started because of family influence," Kayal said. "He said people love it, and so I tried (playing soccer)."

Kayal developed quickly into an all-star.

She played with the under-18 National Team in 1999 and was also named a Parade All-American. Named to the New Jersey All-State team in her sophomore, junior and senior seasons of high school, she was also the captain of her team as a senior.

These accomplishments caught the eye of Michigan coach Debbie Rademacher, who made Kayal a top-priority recruit as a defender. Rademacher's efforts were not made in vain. They impressed Kayal enough to make her decide right away that Michigan was the right place for her to play her college soccer.

"Michelle (Pesiri) and I came the same time," Kayal said. "We had the best visit ever. It was a fun atmosphere with athletics and academics."

Yesterday marked the last regular season home game that Kayal will play for Michigan.

Over her career, she has improved a great deal and has also taken on the leadership role as a captain. She has been one of the team's captains for the last two years.

"I have a pretty big mouth," Kayal said. "I'm constantly talking, and I just want to help in all areas of the game, on and off the field."

Rademacher also noted the impact that Kayal has had on the program as a whole.

"She's a big-game player," Rademacher said.

"She (scored game-winning goals) for us in Penn State and she did that for us in Ohio State. That's big, obviously."

Through Friday, Kayal was tied for sixth on the team in overall points with seven this season, including three goals.

Now that her career at Michigan is coming to a close, Kayal has started looking at the future.

She is enrolled in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and will graduate with a degree in communications.

After that, she said that she wants to go to law school, and hopefully become a celebrity agent.

"I will be taking the LSAT in December," she said. "My future plans depend upon the score of my LSAT."

Although Kayal will be missed by her teammates and coaches, she will definitely not be forgotten.

She has left her mark at Michigan and has helped raise the standards by which future Wolverines will judged.

|