Thursday, October 23, 2014

Jung returns with spectacular performance despite 5-2 loss to No. 15 Stanford

BY EVAN KARPUS
For the Daily

Forty-second-ranked junior Jason Jung, back in action after a week off due to playing time limits, came into the Michigan men’s tennis singles matchup down 2-0 before making it a 6-3, 6-3 rout.

“I played through a couple tough games where I was down early. I tried to not think so much about the score and just play my game,” Jung said.

Despite Jung's return win, the Wolverines couldn't muster enough to beat No. 15 Stanford, losing 5-2.

Not only was this the final match before the Michigan men’s tennis team fully dives into Big Ten match play, but also the 18th birthday for the 103rd-ranked singles freshman Evan King. King got down early in the first set, recovered with a 4-3 lead in the second set, only to fall to the No. 8 Stanford sophomore Bradley Klahn.

Michigan lost the doubles match as King and Jung fell to the No. 30 Stanford pair 8-5 as well as sophomore Chris Madden and freshman Chris Cha who fell 8-3.

“He’s playing a very good doubles team and all the players have two, three years more experience than him,” Berque said of Jung. “I was proud of him and the level of competition he showed in the doubles match.”

Forty-sixth-ranked Michigan doubles pair of seniors George Navas and Mike Sroczynski battled the second-ranked Stanford team in what turned out to be an intense stalemate.

Down 1-4, Sroczynski and Navas served back with multiple wins to tie the match at 5-5.

Both teams faced multiple advantage points, including an ace by Sroczynski, before the Cardinals edged out the Michigan duo 8-7.

“They’re both seniors and they’ve played together since their freshman year,” Berque said. "They’re good friends, study partners and roommates for a part of their time here and they’ve been through the ups and downs together. They made a decision before the season started to leave this program in better shape than when they found it, so I think they’re playing with a lot of pride.”

Madden was the only other Wolverine to score a victory in the singles competition. Madden exploded in the second set with a 6-0 victory after being down 2-6 in the first set to win 2-6, 6-0, 6-3. Navas found himself in a nail-biter that ended in a 6-3, 6-7 (10), 1-0 (10-6). On the sixth court, Cha found himself battling back each match 40-0, which resulted in a 3-6, 3-6 loss.

The Wolverines resume Big Ten play this weekend with matches against Minnesota on Saturday and Iowa on Sunday.

|