Saturday, October 25, 2014

Jaye returns to Senate today after spending a night in jail

BY THE MICHIGAN DAILY

LANSING (AP) State Sen. David Jaye plans to return to session today, four days after being charged in Florida with assaulting his fiancee, his attorney said yesterday.

Robert Huth of Mount Clemens said the Washington Township Republican "hopes to continue his relationship with his fiancee," and said the couple plans to get counseling.

Jaye was booked and jailed overnight last Thursday on a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence battery after police responded to a 911 call on a reported dispute between Jaye and his fiancee, Sonia Kloss. He was released Friday after she posted his $2,500 bond.

Jaye, 43, told a Lee County (Fla.) sheriff"s deputy that he didn"t hit Kloss, 36. He plans to make a statement at 8:45 a.m. today in Lansing on the matter.

While in the Lee County Jail in Florida, Jaye was attacked and needed 24 stitches to repair his injured ear, according to a report filed by sheriff"s officials. He plans to get further surgery on his injured ear, Huth said.

A jail inmate was charged with aggravated battery after witnesses said he struck Jaye because he thought the senator was using the phone for too long.

"He complains about a loss of hearing in that ear," Huth said. But he expressed optimism about the outcome of Jaye"s problems.

"David"s faced adversity before," Huth said. "He"s upbeat and is facing the situation."

Jaye, who last year served 35 days in jail for drunken driving, was charged Friday in Florida with assaulting Kloss. She said then she would ask for the charges to be dropped. The Fort Myers, Fla., woman said she and Jaye plan to get married this year.

Under Florida"s domestic violence law, authorities could still try to prosecute Jaye even if his fiancee doesn"t want to pursue the case.

|