2010-12-14

Friday, November 28, 2014

March 3, 2011 - 4:16pm

Hogan expected to miss 6-8 weeks with groin pull

BY STEPHEN J. NESBITT

After pulling a tendon in his groin during the pregame warm-ups before The Big Chill at the Big House on Saturday, senior goaltender Bryan Hogan is expected to be on the shelf for the next 6-8 weeks, leaving senior Shawn Hunwick to guard the pipes for the No. 11 Michigan hockey team.

Hogan explained on Tuesday that the injury came toward the end of the pregame skate, when he made a quick slide to the right to block a shot. Hogan felt a tear on the right side of his groin, similar to his injury on Feb. 25, which sidelined him for the remainder of the last season.

“I’m starting to get used to this,” Hogan said.

Michigan coach Red Berenson commented that his goaltender was "devastated," at the recurrence of the injury.

“Last year it was at the end of the year where he had played every game, so maybe it could be fatigue or something related to that.” Berenson said on Tuesday. “But this year you could say that maybe he wasn’t warmed up to pull a groin like that, but we’d been practicing every day outside and he never had any issue.”

Last Thursday, Berenson gave the starting job for the Big Chill to Hogan, because of his 7-2-0 record and his outdoor playing experience, but said there wasn't any "finality" to the decision, meaning that the starting position for the remainder of the season was not set in stone. But after the injury to Hogan, the book is closed on the goalie-by-committee discussion for a few months.

“Even if I did make a long-term decision (on who is the starting goaltender), that’s how long term it may be — five minutes into the warm-up,” Berenson said.

Hunwick will man the goal mouth, with freshman Adam Janecyk as the backup until Hogan's return, which is predicted to be in late January. The Wolverines play next in the Great Lakes Invitational at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Mich., beginning on Dec. 29.

|