Saturday, December 20, 2014

Freshmen football players' parents weigh in on supposed NCAA violations

BY COURTNEY RATKOWIAK
Daily Sports Editor

DAYTON, Ohio -- In the days heading up to the Wolverines' first game against Western Michigan, allegations made by the Detroit Free Press that Michigan violated NCAA workout rules have been a sensitive subject among Michigan football players, coaches and parents.

On Wednesday afternoon while at the Trotwood (Ohio) High School varsity football practice, Natalie and Michael Shaw, parents of freshman running back and Trotwood native Michael Shaw, weighed in on the situation. Michael Shaw said he talks to his son every other day and has never heard from him that the coaches are working the team too hard.

"Personally, knowing Coach Rod, I don't think there's any truth to it, I don't think there's any merit in it," Michael said.

Part of the Free Press's supposed findings was that players practiced on Sundays far more than the NCAA allows. The Free Press alleged that Rodriguez required his players to be at practice facilities from noon to 10 p.m. on Sundays.

Natalie Shaw said that she and Michael come to Ann Arbor for every home game and are still able to see their son on Sundays. She said that because of their personal experience and the amount of time they are able to spend with their son, she doesn't believe the charges.

"Michael has a close relationship with us, and with one particular cousin that he has who's college-aged as well, and I trust that Michael would have said something to his dad, myself or his cousin if he was being worked to the magnitude they're reporting," Natalie said. "I really don't think it's true."

Carletta Moore, the mother of redshirt freshman tight end and Trotwood High School graduate Brandon Moore, echoed the Shaws' sentiments.

"First of all, it's wrong, because I went straight to the source -- I went straight to Brandon -- and it's a rumor," Carletta said. "My thought on it -- the devil has a job to do, too, you know? That's just the way I see things. I don't think there's truth to that story at all. Coming from my son, there's no truth to that story."

|