Sunday, November 23, 2014

Ex-Wolverine Toney Clemons chooses Colorado

BY JOE STAPLETON
Daily Sports Writer
Published May 20, 2009

Former Michigan wide receiver Toney Clemons, who transferred from the the University in late March, has decided to continue his football career at the University of Colorado.

Clemons told The Michigan Daily that he liked almost everything about Colorado.

"I liked how peaceful it was on campus, the scenery, the education that they offer and the athletics that they offer," Clemons said. "They're a big-time program in a big-time conference with a big-time schedule."

He said one of the reasons he chose Colorado was because their coaching staff reminded him of former Michigan coach Lloyd Carr's.

"They have a coaching staff that just reminds me so much of the one that brought me to Michigan with coach Carr and his regime," Clemons said.

Clemons plans to enroll and start working out with the Buffaloes on June 1, but as a transfer he will be forced to sit out this coming season.

Colorado only managed a 5-7 record in its 2008 campaign. The Buffaloes'leading receiver, junior Scotty McKnight, hauled in 46 catches for 519 yards and five touchdowns last season.

Clemons stressed the importance of Eric Kiesau, the Buffaloes' former wide receivers coach, being promoted to offensive coordinator. Kiesau was the wide receivers coach at the University of California-Berkeley from 2002-2005 and coached current Philadelphia Eagles wideout DeSean Jackson during his freshman season.

"He said he feels I can come in there and be at Colorado what Jackson was at Cal," Clemons said.

Clemons played in nine games for the Wolverines last season as a sophomore, recording 11 catches for 101 yards and no touchdowns.