Friday, April 18, 2014

Five storylines to follow at this weekend's Spring Game

Ariel Bond/Daily
Sophomore quarterbacks Tate Forcier (5) and Denard Robinson (16) and early-enrollee Devin Gardner (7) practice earlier this spring. Buy this photo

BY RYAN KARTJE TIM ROHAN AND JOE STAPLETON
Daily Sports Editors

With spring practice nearing its end and the spring game coming up this weekend, the Daily Football beat breaks down five of the biggest storylines Michigan fans can follow on Saturday.

The Quarterback Battle

Again, the three-headed monster at Michigan's quarterback position rears its head. But this year, the competition could be closer than ever.

Michigan fans have seen their fair share of sophomores Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson, as both took significant snaps under center last season. But Saturday will be fans' first look at electrifying early-enrollee Devin Gardner, whose hype precedes him. Ranked the No. 1 dual threat quarterback in the nation last year by all the major recruiting sites, the 6-foot-4 signal caller has been receiving rave reviews for his competitive nature, and there's no doubt he'll have something to prove when Saturday afternoon rolls around. And now, with Forcier's status uncertain for Saturday's game, Robinson may have his turn to shine.

But don't expect Forcier and Robinson to shed the limelight so quickly. The race for the starting spot at the quarterback position is in a dead sprint, especially after Robinson has impressed coaches with his improvement this spring.

One thing is clear. All eyes at the Big House on Saturday will be locked under center.

Cameron Gordon at safety

When redshirt freshman Cameron Gordon arrived at Michigan this fall, he was a 6-foot-2, 210-pound, super-athletic wide receiver.

After redshirting his freshman year, Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez decided the team had enough talent at wideout and not enough at free safety. He moved Gordon to safety and, apparently, the switch is working great for everyone involved.

“There’s no question that move was one of the better moves we’ve made, personnel-wise,” Rodriguez said. “I think he’s a natural there.”

Questions have been swirling around the safety position the entire offseason. The collection of safeties who saw the field last year underperformed, and the injury to sophomore Vlad Emilien, who's in the running for the starting spot, made depth at the position this spring a serious issue.

But Gordon has stepped up and appears to be making a push for the starting job. It will be interesting to see if he appears to be a step up from last year’s starters, as the buzz surrounding his spring seems to indicate.

Spring Game's surprise player

After watching then-freshman wide receiver Roy Roundtree catch a pinpoint 50-yard bomb from Forcier in last year's spring game, it was clear that Roundtree was something special. And when all was said and done last season, Roundtree led the team in receiving yards (434) and touchdowns (3), which even the most in-tune Michigan football followers never would have hedged their bets on in the preseason.

So Roundtree's performance begs the question: Who is this year's surprise Spring Game performer?

Here's three players who may surprise you on Saturday:

1. Fitzgerald Toussaint: Despite redshirting last season, Toussaint's speed is being noticed in a big way. And with Vincent Smith out for the spring with an ACL tear, it could be Toussaint's time to show that hfill the cleats of departing running back Carlos Brown.

2. Terrance Robinson: They've been trying him all over the field in spring practice (at slot, in the backfield, etc.), and the coaches have made it clear they want him on the field. Robinson's biggest criticism has been his hands, so if he can show an improvement in that category, he may be making plays this fall.

3. Kenny Demens: Senior linebacker Obi Ezeh has had a rollercoaster of a career with the Wolverines, and Ezeh's loss at middle linebacker could be Demens's gain this season. The Oak Park native has been the talk of the linebacker position this spring and has all the skills to be a tackling machine at the position.

The stable of running backs

With graduating seniors Brandon Minor and Carlos Brown gone, the tailback position is wide open this spring with plenty of capable suitors to take their place.

Leading the pack to replace the duo is junior Mike Shaw, who is the veteran of the bunch now, but hasn't seen enough carries in his first two years on campus to showcase his abilities. Sophomore Vincent Smith is still recovering after tearing his ACL in the 2009 season finale.

|