2010-12-08

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

March 3, 2011 - 4:17pm

Fireworks and flashy celebrations expected at the Big Chill

BY STEPHEN J. NESBITT

The Michigan athletic department is pulling out all the stops for the Big Chill at the Big House on Saturday.

Several weeks ago, four sections of lights were installed at Michigan Stadium, and the University's Board of Regents recently approved to add another fashion of lighting for the showdown between Michigan and Michigan State: fireworks.

According to a recent press release from the hockey team this week, a "pre-game fireworks display will be set off from the south end zone when the Wolverines hit the ice to start the game." Each Michigan goal will be followed by a shower of fireworks from both end zone.

"Following the game, a six-minute fireworks show, choreographed to music from the movie "The Big Chill," will be shot from the field and from the rooftops on the east and west towers of the stadium," the release stated.

It isn't every day that hockey players get their goals punctuated by a fireworks show, and the players aren't going to let their spot in the limelight go unnoticed. If last season's Culver's Camp Randall Classic is any indication, players on both sides will be putting some thought into their goal celebrations.

"You’re probably going to see a few funny celebrations from both teams," senior forward Carl Hagelin said. "If there are goals in this game, there are going to be a few (celebrations). Last year, (Brendan Smith from Wisconsin) did the Heisman … when he scored."

Regardless, there will be plenty of fanfare at the Big House. But when the Wolverines score, they won't just be lighting the lamp, they'll be lighting the sky.