Arts

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Film students gear up for bi-yearly fest

BY JEFFREY BLOOMER

Published December 13, 2006

A being makes a cake with a strange energy. Apparently the moon is involved. And so, I'm told, are dancing people.

All this for a class project. As you continue to ignore that term paper on the aesthetics of neo-Platonism this weekend, maybe it's time to consider a change in major.

Screen arts and cultures students are here to tempt you.

The film in question, "Moon Dance," is just one of a wealth of student productions that will screen this Friday and Saturday at 6 p.m. as part of the Lightworks Festival, a bi-yearly event that brings a close to each fall and winter semester with a free showing of student films.

"It's a fun piece," LSA junior Marty Stano said of the experimental six-minute short, a project he was involved in as part of his 300-level filmmaking course. The piece will be shown in its original 16 mm format along with other student productions that will include animation and documentaries.

Still digging that history of art degree?

Stano said he first attended the two-night festivities when he was a freshman and has been involved (including small roles in films and stints as a crewmember) ever since. He is also on the board of the Film and Video Student Association, which is presenting the event.

He described the Department of Screen Arts and Cultures - which is cosponsoring the event along with Apple and Arts and Michigan - as a "nice, friendly community." He said the department's collaboration with students is paramount to the event's success.

Both screenings, which also make fantastic diversions from finals, are free and begin at 6 p.m.

Lightworks Festival
Friday and Saturday at 6 p.m.
At the Natural Science Auditorium

Free

|