2010-10-12

Thursday, October 30, 2014

March 3, 2011 - 4:42pm

Fatal car crash on U.S. 23 kills four, including one 'U' student

BY MICHELE NAROV

LSA freshman Heather Comstock was killed in a fatal car crash that left four others dead, one in critical condition and three injured, according to The Associated Press.

Comstock and three other Michigan teens were driving in a Toyota Prius after attending Saturday’s game against Michigan State and spending the night in Ann Arbor. They were crossing the median on U.S. 23 in Livingston County, when they crashed into a Chevrolet Blazer.

Matthew Kolstoe, a 19-year-old from Okemos, and 18-year-old Sarina Seger of Williamston were also killed in the crash. Also from Okemos, Humphrey Peterson Jones, who was 18 years of age, was left in critical condition, the AP reported.

Jones is currently at the University hospital and is expected to survive, according to The Lansing State Journal.

The victims and passengers in the Chevrolet Blazer were Cynthia Skutt, 62, and Alfred King, 56, who were both from Freeport, Ohio. Three children were riding in the vehicle — aged 10, 5 and 3 years — and were all seriously injured.

When emergency responders arrived at the scene of the accident, six of the nine bodies were trapped inside their vehicles and three others were lying outside, the Detroit Free Press reported.

According to the Free Press, The Michigan Department of Transportation said yesterday they are in the midst of installing cable barriers on highways with high concentrations of traffic accidents. Barriers have been installed on I-94 in metro Detroit and on other freeways in Michigan as well.

Since the 2011 fiscal year budget has been determined, similar work planned for U.S. 23 will commence in order to avoid fatal accidents such as this one, the Lansing State Journal reported.

According to the Free Press, Holly Comstock, Heather’s mother, tried to get in touch with Heather on the day of the accident, and became concerned when her daughter did not respond to her text messages and phone calls.

“I just knew something was wrong,” she said in an interview with the Free Press.

In response to the accident, a Williamston vigil is planned for Seger, who was a student at Central Michigan University, Central Michigan Life reported.

At Okemos High School, a statement was read to all students about the accident during their first hour Monday, the Free Press reported. Counselors and substitute teachers were available to assist students and faculty coping with the loss.

Police are continuing to investigate the accident, the Free Press reported. Attempts have been made to find information about how fast the cars were going from data recorders in the vehicles.

University students and Okemos High School students began to post their remembrances of Comstock on her Facebook page on Monday.

|