The Table

Sunday, April 20, 2014

March 20, 2011 - 4:31pm

Death by Peanut Butter

BY JORDAN KRISTOPIK

Better than a Reese's Cup

I bake cupcakes like they’re going out of style, but rarely ever do I bake a cake. But I use birthdays as an excuse to make ridiculous, over-the-top cakes. And for a friend’s birthday recently, I really went over the top. Seriously outrageous.

Let’s first talk about the cake. It was one of the moist cakes I’ve ever baked—the recipe called for 1.5 cups of coffee. It was liquid consistency pouring of the mixing bowl, which unfortunately did not leave much batter left behind to lick off the spoon. It also had a full cup of sour cream. Needless to say, I was a little concerned it wouldn’t bake. Oh, but it did. The cake came out perfectly, and the moist richness resembled fudge or pudding or ice cream.

The cake was the least exciting part of the whole thing. I frosted the two layers in cream cheese peanut butter frosting, which was tangy and creamy and rich all at once. The peanut butter wasn’t overwhelming, but it wasn’t the traditional cream cheese frosting either. It sounds like an odd combination, but they really complemented each other well.
I covered the frosted cake in a dark chocolate peanut butter ganache, which dripped down the sides and really took the cake to an extreme level. A ganache is simply melted chocolate and cream, with a few tablespoons of peanut butter thrown in for good measure. It hardens quickly, so when it’s poured over the cake, it hardens and forms a thick fudge. It is nothing short of decadent.

The cake looked beautiful with all its layers. It wasn’t huge, and we were concerned there wouldn’t be enough, but the thinnest slice of this cake was plenty. It was beyond rich and beyond delicious. If you know a chocolate peanut butter fan—wait, fanatic—make them this cake today.

Click here for the recipe (and waaaaay better pictures than what I took): http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/