Monday, October 20, 2014

Check it out

The Wolverines have gone from rock bottom to tops in the Big Ten. How has it happened?

Michigan begins the season 0-6 - its worst start in the history of the program. Michigan is now 11-6. Following their loss to Duke, the Wolverines have rattled off 11 straight victories, and are first place in the conference heading into their game against Minnesota tomorrow. How, you ask, has this happened? How can a team go from doing nothing right to looking like one of the better teams in the nation? Who is responsible for all of this madness? Can they keep it up? Can they get back into the top 25? Check it out.

No fun in the sun

Nov. 25, 2002

St. Bonaventure 89, Michigan 68

Virginia Tech 65, Michigan 53

Kansas State 82, Michigan 71

The Paradise Jam Tournament was unkind to the Wolverines, as they begin their season by digging a hole. The games were characterized by poor shooting, turnovers and mental mistakes. Michigan is hoping a return to Crisler will turn things around.

See ya!

Nov. 27, 2002

Michigan junior Avery Queen is dismissed from the team for violating team rules. His departure would open the door for Daniel Horton, who begins playing almost 40

minutes per game.

Spanked by two directional schools

Dec. 3, 2002

The Wolverines have now officially gotten off to the worst start in the history of the program - and they can't pinpoint the problem. The offense sputters against Western, while the defense is hurting against Central. Heading into Duke, the Wolverines have nothing to build on.

Westward bound

Dec. 3, 2002

Michigan sophomore Dommanic Ingerson decides that he wants out, and announces that he will transfer at the end of the fall semester. He eventually lands at San Francisco.

Checkpoint

Dec. 7, 2002

The Wolverines fall to Duke, as expected, but it is an encouraging loss. For the first time in three years, they hold Duke under 100 points. Tommy Amaker decides to wipe the slate clean and start over. In his eyes, Michigan is now 0-0. This frame of mind seems to inspire the Wolverines, who have a heavy burden lifted from their shoulders.

Signs of life

December 21, 2002

Things finally begin coming together for the Wolverines, as LaVell Blanchard and Horton begin to find the stroke. Michigan's gritty, hard-fought win over Vanderbilt is the highlight of this stretch. The Wolverines struggle, but do all the little things right to win.

Happy Blue Year

Jan. 4, 2003

Michigan 85, Eastern Michigan 57

Michigan 81, UCLA 76

Michigan 74, San Francisco 64

Michigan 84, IUPUI 79

While most students are at home opening presents, the Wolverines are on the war path. The break is highlighted by their win over UCLA at Pauley Pavilion, one of their best nonconference wins in several years.

Comeback kids

Jan. 11, 2003

Michigan 66, Wisconsin 65

Michigan 66, Penn State 53

In what is one of the most exciting games at Crisler Arena in a long time, the Wolverines come from 15 points behind in the second half to beat Wisconsin to open the Big Ten season. Horton's block to solidify the win prompt fans to rush the court.

Road to respect

Jan. 18, 2003

Michigan 61, Ohio State 50

Michigan 77, Northwestern 70

Michigan make it 11 with two monumental road wins. The first is in Columbus, where the Wolverines shoot well at the free throw line and play tenacious defense to lock up the victory. Against the Wildcats they come from behind.