2010-11-19

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Board of Regents votes to extend Coleman's contract with 'U'

Todd Needle/Daily
President Mary Sue Coleman and the Board of Regents met on November 18, 2010 at 'U' Flint to discuss budget reform, President Coleman's future at the 'U', and the fireworks display slated for December 11th's Big Chill hockey game at the Big House. Buy this photo

By Kyle Swanson, Daily News Editor

FLINT, Mich. — The University’s Board of Regents voted unanimously yesterday here to approve a motion extending University President Mary Sue Coleman’s contract for an additional two years.

Coleman's current contract with the University was scheduled to end in July 2012, but the two-year extension approved yesterday means Coleman will serve through July 2014. Coleman joined the University in 2002 after serving as the president of the University of Iowa.

The motion to extend Coleman’s contract was made by Board of Regents Chair Julia Darlow (D–Ann Arbor), who read a statement in support of the action.

“Throughout her service to the University, President Coleman has performed to extraordinarily high standards and has gained extraordinarily wide recognition for her excellence,” Darlow said. “President Coleman has kept our focus firmly on our mission, and we have achieved outstanding accomplishments on global, national and local levels. For the entire University community, she has preserved and strengthened our balance, our direction and our self-confidence.”

Coleman’s compensation package will remain the same in her new contract, though the Board of Regents will continue to evaluate her pay each year for possible merit increases, Darlow said.

“(Coleman’s salary) will continue to be reviewed annually by the Board and any increases will be set at the discretion of the Board, taking into consideration performance and other relevant factors as we did at our last Board meeting in October,” Darlow said during the meeting.

However, the contract does add an additional $100,000 to Coleman’s deferred compensation package for the current contract year and the remaining years on her new contract. However, because it is deferred compensation, Coleman will not receive the money until she retires.

“The amendment is designed to build a substantial contribution to her retirement over the remainder of her term,” Darlow said of Coleman. “Certainly, she has earned it.”

As part of the contract, the Board of Regents laid out seven primary goals for Coleman to address over the remaining years of her contract.

Among them, the regents have asked Coleman to continue strengthening the University’s academic mission and developing financial policies that will preserve the fiscal health of the University.

During her tenure at the University, Coleman worked with other University officials to eliminate $135 million in recurring costs from the general fund budget in order to reallocate money to higher priority projects. Additionally, Coleman has called for an additional $100 million to be eliminated from the budget by 2012 and another $120 million by 2017.

At the same time, Coleman led a faculty hiring initiative aimed at increasing the number of interdisciplinary faculty and programs at the University. Coleman allocated enough money in the University’s budget for the current year to hire an additional 50 junior faculty members.

The regents also requested that Coleman work to improve campus facilities like student housing and to grow and strengthen the University of Michigan Health System. In addition, they asked that Coleman create a leadership plan that includes developing strong candidates for leadership positions throughout the University.

Coleman spearheaded phase one of a residence life initiative that led to the renovation of several residence halls on campus. Officials in the administration have told The Michigan Daily that the second phase of the project is currently being planned.

Additionally, Coleman played a major role in planning and overseeing the construction of the new C.S. Mott Children’s and Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital, which is set to open in November 2011 — a year ahead of schedule.

Coleman is also to develop plans for the University's next capital campaign.