The Filter

Saturday, August 2, 2014

March 20, 2011 - 4:36pm

Basement Arts's 'Me and My Dick' gets Billboard chart recognition

BY CAROLYN KLARECKI

Who would’ve thought that a little musical written, produced, directed and performed by students in Studio One on North Campus would ever be a national sensation?

Nestled in between no. 10 “Phantom of the Opera” and no. 12 “Rock of Ages,” the Basement Arts musical “Me and My Dick” is the first student production to make the Top Cast Albums charts, according to Billboard.

The musical, previewed by the Daily in October, follows high school student Joey Richter and his penis, Dick, as they navigate their way through high school trying to lose Joey’s virginity. The first public showing of “Dick” was through Basement Arts’s 24-hour theater. After polishing, the show premiered at Studio One on Oct 30. It’s available on YouTube with nearly 200,000 views, and the soundtrack can also be found on iTunes.

“Me and My Dick” — with music and lyrics by A.J. Holmes, Carlos Valdes and Darren Criss, and book by Brian Holden, Matt Lang, Nick Lang and Eric Kahn Gale — was created by the same team behind last year’s hit show “A Very Potter Musical.” And the success of the creative team only seems to be growing. Their latest musical “A Very Potter Sequel” will premiere on campus on May 14. In July, the cast and crew of “A Very Potter Musical” will perform the show at Infinitus, the Harry Potter fan convention in Orlando, Fla. The team is waiting to hear from the New York International Fringe Festival, where many shows have gone on to receive a Broadway run.

In an interview with Billboard, A.J. Holmes said, “We can't believe the company we're in. So many of our classmates just could not believe this news. Least of all us. We do think the No. 12 (cast album) must be very confused.”

Remember the team behind the best Basement Arts shows you ever saw. They’re taking the theater world by storm one cheeky musical at a time.