MD

News

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Advertise with us »

'U' sees record number of applications, decrease in yield

BY JAMIE BLOCK
Editor in Chief
Published July 13, 2009

The University announced on July 13 that for the third year in a row it received a record number of applications for undergraduate admission. A pool of 29,939 prospective freshmen applied for the 2009-2010 academic year — an increase of 133 from the previous year.

From this pool of applicants, 14,918 were admitted to the Ann Arbor campus as of June 8, 2009. But of those admitted, only 43.2 percent sent in enrollment deposits, as compared to the 48.2 percent who did so at this time last year.

Based on trends from previous years regarding the percentage of applicants who send in deposits and ultimately enroll, the University projects that the incoming class of 2013 will consist of around 5,900 students — an increase from the class of 2012 of about 200 students.

University Provost Teresa Sullivan said in an interview in May that the University did not know what to expect regarding enrollment numbers due to the unstable economy.

“This has been a very hard year to predict because there’s so much financial insecurity,” she said.

Sullivan said the University accepted more students than planned to make up for “summer melt” — when students pay enrollment deposits but do not attend the University in the fall.

“After talking with people at other universities we think that we will have more summer melt than usual this year,” she said.

Sullivan said one reason for summer melt is that students on a waitlist for another school will sometimes attend that institution if they’re admitted during the summer, thereby causing the University’s class size to shrink.

“So what we actually think is that we’ll have the same size class next fall that we had last fall, but we had to admit more students to get to it,” she said.

According to Ted Spencer, associate vice provost and executive director of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, this year’s decrease in yield — the percentage of applicants offered admission that send in deposits — is not unique to the University. Many colleges and universities across the nation are seeing similar trends, possibly in light of the economy.

“The Office of Financial Aid also is working very hard, in response to the current economy, to get financial aid dollars into the hands of students and their families who need them, and to meet the full demonstrated financial need of all in-state students who are offered admission,” Spencer said.

The budget passed by the University Board of Regents for the 2009-2010 academic year includes the largest increase in financial aid to date.

Pamela Fowler, executive director of the Office of Financial Aid, wrote in a University Record article published last week that in a year when more students have applied to the University than ever but yield has decreased, the University is trying to provide an affordable education to its many qualified applicants.

"The university's 2009-10 general fund budget includes $118 million dollars in centrally funded financial aid, a $10 million-dollar increase over last year,” Fowler wrote. “This includes $73.7 million, an 11.7-percent rise, in centrally awarded financial aid available to undergraduate students. We are doing everything we can to put those dollars in the hands of students and their families who need it."

Fowler wrote in an e-mail interview July 13 that the increase in financial aid available to undergraduate students yields a maximum amount of $1,700 in grant aid that an individual student may receive for 2009-2010, which exceeds the increase in tuition and housing for incoming freshmen by approximately $600.