Thursday, October 23, 2014

Update: Michigan quarterback Nick Sheridan out four to six weeks

BY COURTNEY RATKOWIAK AND ANDY REID
Daily Sports Editors

Before Thursday's spring practice, Michigan football coach Rich Rodriguez confirmed redshirt junior quarterback Nick Sheridan had a small fracture in his lower leg. Rodriguez said Sheridan's injury won't require surgery, but he should be out four to six weeks.

"He's got a small fracture in his lower leg," Rodriguez said. "According to trainer's talk, it's not a displaced fracture so you don't have to have surgery. It takes him out of the practices for spring ball but for summer workouts he'll be fine."

Redshirt junior David Cone, sophomore Justin Feagin and early-enrollee Tate Forcier are sharing reps while Sheridan is injured.

Although Rodriguez did not say which leg Sheridan injured, The Michigan Daily's eyewitness reports confirmed it was his right leg. Sheridan was seen with crutches and a large, black boot on his right leg walking into the cafeteria at South Quad at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Several football players were gathered at the residence hall for a team dinner.

Sheridan was rumored to have broken his leg during spring practice Tuesday.

Sheridan started in four games and played in eight last season for the Wolverines. He was 63-of-137 for 613 passing yards, two touchdowns and five interceptions last fall.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Steven Threet transferred from Michigan before this year's spring practice, leaving Sheridan as the initial frontrunner to take the starting job this fall.

Check www.michigandaily.com tonight and tomorrow for more updates on Sheridan's injury.