Sunday, April 20, 2014

Michigan quarterback Steven Threet to transfer

BY DAN FELDMAN
Courtney Ratkowiak and Andy Reid

Redshirt freshman quarterback Steven Threet will transfer from Michigan, according to a statement released early this morning.

"I have decided to transfer from the University of Michigan," Threet wrote in the statement. "I have requested and received my release. I do not yet know where I will continue my collegiate career, and have no further comment until that decision is made."

Calls to Steven Threet’s cell phone last night from The Michigan Daily were not returned. When contacted last night by the Daily, Threet’s father, Jewel Threet, said his son would release a statement today and declined further comment.

An Athletic Department spokesperson also declined to comment about the statement.

The Wolverines’ starter in 8 of 12 games last year, Threet transferred from Georgia Tech prior to the 2007 season. He finished last season 102-of-200 for 1,105 yards, nine touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Michigan signed two quarterbacks, Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson, on National Signing Day on Feb. 5. Forcier, a four-star recruit according to rivals.com, enrolled early in January and will practice with the team this spring.

Redshirt sophomores Nick Sheridan and David Cone are the only returning quarterbacks on Michigan’s roster. Sheridan started four games last season. Freshman Justin Feagin, who began last season at quarterback and moved to slot receiver, will also return.

|