Friday, September 19, 2014

Cass Tech commits react to Shafer's resignation

BY DAN FELDMAN
Daily Sports Editor
Published December 16, 2008

Michigan verbal commitment Thomas Gordon, a senior at Detroit Cass Tech, received an alert via his ESPN MVP service notifying him that defensive coordinator Scott Shaferd resigned today.

“I was shocked,” Gordon said.

He said he is unsure of his future plans.

“I'm just weighing my options right now,” Gordon said. “I have to find out who else is going to come in and be a coordinator before I do anything.”

Gordon thought it was “fishy” he didn't see Shafer on his official visit a week-and-a-half ago. Gordon asked wide receivers coach Tony Dews about Shafer's whereabouts, and Dews said Shafer and quarterbacks coach Rod Smith were on the road recruiting.

“They probably made a decision too fast,” Gordon said. “I kind of think he just resigned before he was fired.”

When Shafer visited Cass Tech to recruit Michigan freshman cornerback Boubacar Cissoko, he always made a point to see Gordon.

Teric Jones, a senior running back at Cass Tech who's also committed to Michigan, talked to Gordon after they found out about Shafer.

Jones said it didn't seem like Gordon had doubts about coming to Michigan, and he didn't think Gordon committed because of just one coach. But Shafer was a key factor in Gordon's decision.

“A big reason why I'm coming to Michigan is because Coach Shafer always spoke highly of me,” Gordon said.

Ten of the Wolverines' 21 verbal commitments are expected to be defensive players at the college level, and Shafer's resignation could affect their commitments. A third Cass Tech player, defensive and offensive lineman William Campbell is also considering Michigan.

“We were just on good terms,” Gordon said. “I was really looking forward to going up there and play defense for him. I really had my mind set on that. We built that relationship, but we didn't get the chance to do nothing with it because he's gone now.”

|