BY TREVOR CALERO
Daily Staff Reporter
Published November 17, 2008
LSA senior Mike Milano, the Michigan football player who was charged Friday with two counts of assault stemming from an incident last month, was arraigned Monday morning.
More like this
In the incident, which took place early on the morning of Oct. 12, LSA junior Steve Kampfer was “body slammed” into the sidewalk, leaving him unconscious on a Church Street sidewalk near East Quad. Kampfer, a defenseman on the Michigan hockey team, incurred a fractured skull and was hospitalized.
Milano, the main suspect in the incident, was suspended indefinitely from the Michigan football team several days later.
The Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s office had issued a warrant on Friday for Milano’s arrest. The first charge against Milano, for assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, is a felony carrying a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a $5,000 fine. The second charge, aggravated assault, is a misdemeanor that carries a penalty of up to one year in prison and a $1,000 fine.
University Police spokeswoman Diane Brown said Milano was released this morning on a personal recognizance bond. His preliminary examination is set for Dec. 17, she said.
Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson said last month that Kampfer will miss at least two months of play because of his injuries.
Eight days after the incident, Kampfer filed for a personal protection order against Milano and “anyone associated” with him. A judge rejected Kampfer’s request, noting that “repeated or continuing harassment” is necessary for a PPO to be granted. Kampfer only alleged one incident.