2014-01-17

Saturday, October 25, 2014

January 17, 2014 - 1:57am

Weekend Roundup Jan. 17 to Jan. 20

BY ALICIA ADAMCZYK

A Chinese New Year Celebration and series of events honoring the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. will keep students busy this weekend. Is your student group hosting an event this weekend? Tell us about it in our comments section or e-mail Alicia Adamczyk at aalicia@umich.edu.

Friday, January 17

“August: Osage County” and “Inside Llewyn Davis” are playing at the Michigan Theater and State Theater, respectively. “Nebraska,” starring Will Forte, formerly of “Saturday Night Live,” will also play this weekend at the Michigan Theater. The Michigan Daily spoke with director Alexander Payne in November about the actors, script and Payne’s preference for shooting movies in Nebraska, his home state.

“Well, you never ask Woody Allen why he likes to shoot in New York or Paul Thomas Anderson why he wants to shoot in L.A.,” Payne said. “You just accept that. Why do you have to pester me about why I like to shoot in Nebraska?”

For those inspired by “American Idol” Thursday night, Students Today Leaders Forever is hosting an open mic night in the basement of the Michigan League, starting at 5:30 p.m.

Beginning at the stroke of midnight, MHacks will kick off the largest hackathon in the world, as more than 1,000 students travel from across the country — and the globe — to attend. The hackathon will last until Sunday afternoon — whether all the contestants will is a different story. Watch the hype video on the group’s website featuring helicopter footage of Detroit if you’re not yet as excited as the 1,200 hackers attending.

Saturday, January 18

Saturday marks the second day of the South Asian Awareness Network’s annual conference, “Panorama: Capturing Change Through the Lens of Culture,” which aims to open dialogue between people of different backgrounds, and hopefully affect change within the wider community.

“Through the SAAN Conference, we hope to engage our participants in a way that challenges their thinking, as well as expose them to new ideas and bring them to new levels of awareness and understanding with regard to themselves and the world around them,” wrote LSA senior Vishnu Venugopal in a viewpoint to the Daily.

Fashion lovers can check out the newest designs from fellow University students at Saturday night’s EnspiRED runway show. The show is from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. at the Biomedical Science Research Building. Tickets are on sale at the Michigan Union Ticket Office. No tickets will be sold at the door.

"The EnspiRED Fashion Show serves as an artistic hub of creativity for students on campus," said Tyrell Collier, enspiRED president and production manager. "The EnspiRED Fashion Show serves as an artistic hub of creativity for students on campus. Whether you are in the show as a model, photographer, videographer, performer, stage manager or audience member, everyone is encouraged to participate in the event and enjoy each other's company.”

MHacks will continue throughout the day and night in Detroit.

Sunday, January 19

For the early risers, the Michigan Men’s Volleyball Team will host their annual volleyball tournament at the Central Campus Recreation Building starting at 7 a.m. And if you’d like to sleep in a bit but still catch a sporting event, the Michigan Women’s Syncronized Swimming Team will partake in its first competition of the season, starting at 1 p.m. in Canham Natatorium.

Happy New Year! The Chinese Student and Scholar and Association is hosting a Chinese New Year celebration at the Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre, beginning at 7 p.m. There will be dance performances, singers and more.

Monday, January 20

To honor Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the University will host multiple speeches, panel discussions and programs, including a keynote address by actor and social activist Harry Belafonte in Hill Auditorium, beginning at 10 a.m. Additionally, students can attend events ranging from “Healing the Divide: Bridges to Community Health,” a discussion on medical outreach starting at 12 p.m., to a talk about controversial stand-your-ground laws at the University’s Detroit Center at 1 p.m.

Students can also volunteer, starting on Monday, for one or many events during the MLK Week of Service.

For a full listing of events, visit the MLK Symposium website.

|