2013-09-23

Friday, August 22, 2014

September 21, 2013 - 2:47pm

Phil Hanlon inaugurated as 18th president of Dartmouth College

BY PETER SHAHIN

Click below to view video of Phil Hanlon's Inauguration as president of Dartmouth College

Former University Provost Phil Hanlon was inaugurated as the 18th President of Dartmouth College Friday as the institution celebrated its 244th anniversary. Hanlon was selected to replace Interim President Carol Folt in November.

University President Mary Sue Coleman was a guest speaker at his inauguration and many other University of Michigan executive officers were in attendance — including Provost Martha Pollack who took over from Hanlon in May.

Hanlon graduated from Dartmouth in 1977 and received his doctorate from the California Institute of Technology in 1981. He began his career at the University of Michigan in 1986 as a mathematics professor — continuing to teach undergraduate math courses throughout his career as provost. He was appointed to succeed former provost Teresa Sullivan, now President of the University of Virginia, in 2010.

“It’s a very great opportunity,” Hanlon said in November. “Dartmouth is ranked in the top 10 in U.S. News (and World Report rankings), it’s ranked number one in undergraduate education by U.S. News. It is my alma mater, it’s an Ivy League institution, and it’s a terrific opportunity.”