2014-05-22

Sunday, October 26, 2014

May 23, 2014 - 2:05pm

University receives record number of applications

BY SAM GRINGLAS

Undergraduate applications to the University arrived in record-breaking numbers for the eight consecutive year. The University received 49,731 applications for the 2014-2015 academic year, marking a 6.3 percent increase in applicants over the previous year’s figures.

The University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions admitted 15,985 applicants by the first week of May and 6,795 have paid the enrollment deposit. Though some students may change their plans over the summer, 42.5 percent of students who were offered admission paid a deposit to attend the University in the fall. Approximately 10,000 of those applications were from prospective in-state freshman.

Based on these numbers, the University accepted 32 percent of the applications it received.

In January, the University announced early action applications had increased by four percent over the previous year’s slate of freshman applicants.

A more detailed report of this year’s admissions process — including breakdowns of race, ethnicity and of in-state and out-of-state applicants — won’t be released until October when final enrollment figures are calculated. Enrollment is expected to remain constant with last year.

Ted Spencer, the University’s associate vice provost and director of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions said the University had the most applications out of any school in the Big Ten Conference.

“The superior resources and opportunities available at Michigan draw the state’s and the nation’s most qualified young scholars to Ann Arbor,” said Lester Monts, senior vice provost for academic affairs. “We are gratified by their decision to choose Michigan, and we look forward to the excitement for learning and potential for excellence they will contribute to the university community.”

Both Monts and Spencer announced they would step down from their positions this year.

At their April meeting, the University’s Board of Regents appointed Robert Sellers, chair of the department of psychology, as the University’s first vice provost for equity, inclusion and academic affairs. This role was intended to replace the position Monts had previously held by creating a role more focused on the University’s efforts related to diversity.

Over the past year, the University’s admissions policies have been at the focus of on-campus organizing efforts sparked by the University’s Black Student Union and By Any Means Necessary. The BSU called for 10 percent minority enrollment as one of their seven demands for improving the campus climate for minority students. Black student enrollment has hovered around four percent in recent years.

In April, BAMN, a group that has focused on restoring affirmative action, protested the University’s admissions policies inside the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Later that month, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the state of Michigan’s ban on the use of affirmative action in admissions.